D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

pukunui

Legend
Sorry, I was unclear. The players can't find the story of the dead adventurers motivations and thus, the importance of the Eye.
Ah. Right. I see. I like your idea. I shall have my players run into one or more of the Yellow Banner members while they are in Port Nyanzaru.

One of the PCs is a Waterdhavian noble. Perhaps she can be invited to have dinner with a merchant prince, and Lord Brixton (is that his name?) is there too, and he tells her about his group's quest during the meal.

pukunui

Legend
Here's a neat little sidequest posted by NewbieDM on Twitter:

DMbo4wtWkAAhyHX.jpg

CapnZapp

Legend
So that's why I'm introducing them earlier, for some exposition, and to start letting players know about the truly LEGENDARY artifacts that can be found in the jungle.

Yes, the Tomb chapter contains a discussion around three or four legendary treasures.

But if you're like many DMs you will only read that chapter carefully once the players have reached Omu.

And by that time it's too late to foreshadow these treasures!

I really think they should have had one rumor each in the Port Nyanzaru rumor table, and the Yellow Banner adventuring party should have two!

One of the best DM advice I've ever encountered is after all:

"Show the adventure!"

It's fairly natural too keep secrets as a adventure writer, but you overestimate the players' ability to reveal the plot nearly every time!

It's okay to give out your mysterious clues and foreshadowing leads! In fact, you should nearly always do it!

In most cases it's preferable to let the players feel smart about correctly anticipating a feature of your adventure, rather than to keep a secret so secret none of the players ever understand its even there...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Nebulous

Legend
Yes, the Tomb chapter contains a discussion around three or four legendary treasures.

But if you're like many DMs you will only read that chapter carefully once the players have reached Omu.

And by that time it's too late to foreshadow these treasures!

I really think they should have had one rumor each in the Port Nyanzaru rumor table, and the Yellow Banner adventuring party should have two!

One of the best DM advice I've ever encountered is after all:

"Show the adventure!"

It's fairly natural too keep secrets as a adventure writer, but you overestimate the players' ability to reveal the plot nearly every time!

It's okay to give out your mysterious clues and foreshadowing leads! In fact, you should nearly always do it!

In most cases it's preferable to let the players feel smart about correctly anticipating a feature of your adventure, rather than to keep a secret so secret none of the players ever understand its even there...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Yes, this is an excellent idea. This thread should start giving more advice like this, how to connect plot tissue in the adventure that's not been done for us. For example, my guys are in Firefinger now, just reached the 1st platform, and there's no reason there should not be more clues leading to other places and parts of Chult, or even legendary treasures in the Tomb. For example, the terror folk might be eating on a dead adventurer at the top of the spire who has the note about Jungle Princess...

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
EDIT: This version is for a specific year which includes Shieldmeet (a leap year). If you don't use that year, then you'll have to edit out Shieldmeet and adjust the moon phases or delete them if you want it to be accurate.

I previously posted a PDF of a calendar that had some randomly determined weather and encounter rolls. This was for my campaign but I wanted to make something that could automate the process for anyone. So I tinkered with some Google Sheets formulas and got some help to come up with this thing:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QYg3lOxJQBZ3-xrfJHlBsWC9ukdr5jEK3RvOAQISsWU

So now it will give a randomly determined time between 1am to 8:59am, 9am to 4:59pm, 5pm to 12:59am every day, along with an encounter roll that is paired with the roll on the table as well as randomly determined weather.

If you first add this to your own Google Drive and then go to your Google Drive version of it and COPY that version of it, you can then edit it as you please. I haven't done seasonal weather as I figured Chult is basically on the equator so there wouldn't be much variation, and even if there was, it was a bit too difficult to figure out. But you can change the frequency of the various weather states simply by changing the numbers in the formula. Currently it's set to 0 to 15 for no rain, 16 to 70 for light rain, 71 to 95 for heavy rain and 96 to 100 for monsoon/tropical storm.

It currently rerolls everything any time you refresh the page or edit anything. That can be alleviated by simply printing out the pages you want to PDF. I think there's a way to stop it from doing that by "protecting" the page, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Last edited:

Remove ads