D&D 5E [SPOILERS] Enhancing Tomb of Annihilation

Quickleaf

Legend
Any good ideas for quests / McGuffins / rituals to buy a creature afflicted by the Death Curse more time?

My party's grung druid has a friendly NPC afflicted by Death Curse – her hook for wanting to find a way to end the Death Curse. Even though I've augmented Death Curse in my game to allow players more time (so they can explore more without feeling like they're fighting a ticking time bomb), this friendly NPC still only has 5 HD, making saving him a 2-month window...as opposed to the 8-month window I've given for saving Syndra Silvane. So saving him is more urgent for the grung druid. Looking for ideas that would extend the time he has left before Death Curse overtakes him. Stop gap measures, essentially.

Onslaught

Explorer
You can just wing it as it's an NPC.

You can change the Death Curse to eat creatures life force by time instead of HP, so it takes 8 months to reach 100% life force, you're down 50% life force by the 4th month and so on.

If the NPC is accompaining the party, you could use Nanny P., or some kind of Grung ritual where they eat a T-Rex heart to strenghten up - maybe in the Grung city

wizardlvl80

First Post
Hello there.

Question. Can players exit and reenter Tomb of Nine Gods at will? Or is there something I'm actually missing and it's blocking their path back?

Another thing is that my players want to get literally everyone they can to help them at Tomb and I cannot say it's not rational, cause Death Curse is a thing and lots of people want to stop it. Another idea they came up with is to team up with Valindra in entering the Tomb.

Anyone of you encountered anything similar in your campaign?

Onslaught

Explorer
According to Area 4A, True Entrance, once the characters open the door the cubes vanish and the door stays open for 1 hour and then shuts down.

wizardlvl80

First Post
According to Area 4A, True Entrance, once the characters open the door the cubes vanish and the door stays open for 1 hour and then shuts down.
That's true. But level one (Rotten Halls) have areas connected with surface - small cracks in stone. Players can easily polymorph themselves or use gaseous form to exit and reenter Tomb at will. Heck, they don't even need to find the cubes to enter.

CapnZapp

Legend
That's true. But level one (Rotten Halls) have areas connected with surface - small cracks in stone. Players can easily polymorph themselves or use gaseous form to exit and reenter Tomb at will. Heck, they don't even need to find the cubes to enter.
If your DM allows that, he or she really doesn't know Acecerak...

wizardlvl80

First Post
Hello guys!

So here are the problems I encountered with my players entering Omu. It's not like I can't manage to handle them by myself but I think it's a really poor gamedesign (again) in their adventures. Let me share some of my previous/current issues with this adventure and maybe you will be able to avoid many of them.

My players are a 7th level party of wizard, rogue, barbarian, cleric and sorcerer. They already cleared most locations pointed on the map of Chult and they always do it ninja style. So far, we got two deaths in this campaign but I consider it fairly low when compared to their achievements in Chult.

They are kind of in some truce with Valindra, they established a new base for Camp Vengance in the jungle and with the money they got, they bought the supplies for them, weapons and armor. They hired more people to team up with Order of the Gauntlet. They made friends with Kir Sabal, Artus Cimber and they totally nailed Dungrunglung.

They are entering Omu now and are aware of Tomb of Nine Gods. Knowing my players, they will try to check the entrance to Tomb end they will do it without finding the puzzle cubes. "How" - you will ask? I am pretty sure they will polymorph whole team into tiny creatures (no matter how long it takes, or to write polymorph scrolls or they come up with something else) or come up with something else like polymorphing into Giant Ape which has 20+ strength and mining the entrance with giant hammer or pick.

But that's actually not so much of a problem, as it is with that they have tons of allies. Some of them are pretty powerful. They can literally come to Omu with tons of companions and flood the Tomb of the Nine Gods. And with so much firepower, they can easily bruteforce this dungeon and everything inside there.

Seriously, this whole Omu area is based on an assumption that player's chcaracters act like they are on a first level and have no resources and ideas to come up with.

They are heroes at this point of gameplay. They can use powerful magic and they are not suicidals. It's not like "hey, I am a powerful lvl 9 wizard who has its own magic guild but I will gladly go to this tomb and die". It's more like "I will crack this tomb and I won't play by the rules it wants me to play".

My players are very cunning and smart. They will come up with things I don't even imagine now and they surely won't risk their lives like idiots and just "go into the dungeon".

Tomb of Horrors was an adventure based on assumption "we are treasure hunters and there is a dungeon with treasures - let's go get it". Tomb of Annihilation is an adventure where you kind of save the world and you are not some random adventurer but at the point you reach this Dungeon, you can even call Elminster and tell him to bomb this place with magic nukes.

I'm kind of babyraging now cause I bought a ready to play product that is so problematic. Any thoughts comrades? I really don't even want to fix something that should be adressed by design team. At this moment I think I will let my players do what their imagination will tell them to do.

CapnZapp

Legend
Hello guys!
Sorry for breaking it to you but ALL adventures assume the heroes act like it's "first level", in that they venture forth (all five of them) alone, to seek out danger and glory in equal measure.

I'm not flippant. I am genuinely sorry. Maybe you need to consider how bounded accuracy in 5E has made numbers much more important (whereas level was paramount in 3e and 4e).

In short, it boils down to this:

"Yes, we could have brought an army, but we choose not to, because we want to experience the danger and glory ourselves."

In the final analysis, yes you could play "smart", but that's not the genre D&D is emulating. Indiana Jones didn't bring any allies. Why? Because it would have made a less exciting movie.

That really is the crux of the issue.

Onslaught

Explorer
Hello guys!

Or... you could let them do just that. They try to brute force the Tomb, you can play all the traps as extremely deadly and gruesome. What will happen to their followers morale when there's a dozen lives wasted in the first few rooms of the Tomb? Will they keep following them by then?

In that cenario, I would also make "normal" NPCs do dumb sh*t. Make them pull the wrong lever, step the wrong tile or just fail some needed skill check (they aren't as skillfull as the PCs). Make one them run with some treasure just to trigger some awful trap.

Also, remember there's the time constrain of the Death Curse. You can brute force the front door, but make it take very long as it's magic-enhanced-stone, hard as Adamantine. And you don't have that much time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases