Spotlight Interview: John Rogers on the Manual of the Planes

Phaezen

First Post
Jonrog1:

I don't suppose you have, or are aware of, any articles in upcomming Dragon magazines exploring aspects of the feywild?

Phaezen

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
WotC, if you are reading this, please, please, please get Jonrog1 to write some (or all) of the Court of Stars series.

jonrog1

First Post
Not sure what the status of the CoS series in Dragon is at the moment. If they want me to take a swing at it, I will, but there is a big difference between doing general design and the sort of tightly integrated work done coordinating Dragon articles, modules, bigger wold-publishing projects, etc.

There's about a page or so describing the different factions of the CoS and the respective archfey involved. I think Tiandra and Oran together take up another page (this is not to imply that they're "together" together. Just two of the main players)

For the fella with Baba-Yaga as a God in his campaign -- no worries. She's pretty hard to find in the Feywild -- assuming you'd be insane enough to go looking. You can run the Feywild as-is without her.

The Gnome Council, on the other hand - you must give the gnomes their props. Or they will $%#@ CUT YOU, man!

WizarDru

Adventurer
John,
Glad to hear the Feywild sounds like the sort of place it should be: somewhat scary and alien.

Can you give any hints about the role the Fomorians play? Are they just violent comic foils or something far uglier?

Oh, and what is the street date for MoP, anyone know?

MrMyth

First Post
Sadly, I do not know nor care who Jim Butcher is or what his opinion on the matter is. Especially considering what I can tell he is some sci-fi author and Jedi don't belong in D&D. :erm:

I saw his name mentioned in the interview and the mention of sci-fi and just skipped it hoping it to be a bad joke.

When I want sci-fi I will pull out Wells, Verne, or Asimov, but neither belong in D&D.

Now wonder the genres of things are so mixed up, everyone trying to make some dumb super-genre that has everything in it a-la-Wizards.

justanobody, as much as I enjoy seeing you toss out yet another completely uninformed opinion on a matter of which you outright admit having no understanding of, and using this as another excuse to slip in a few sly comments against 4E...

...is it really that hard to spend the 2.5 minutes on google that it would take to realize that Jim Butcher has nothing to do with sci-fi, and that your statements have absolutely no grounding in fact? Given the number of posts on here, you certainly have the time to spare.

This is far from the first post of yours where you engage in detailed criticism of some imaginary scenario that exists only in your mind. In most cases, you at least have the excuse that the content you are criticizing is behind the DDI Subscription wall, and thus you have to criticize what you imagine the content to be, since you don't have access to the real thing. But in this case, you don't even have that excuse - in less time than it took you to write that post, you could have looked up Jim Butcher and realized he had nothing to do with sci-fi. I mean, you even took the time to look up a link to something else entirely on Wikipedia! Would you really rather throw more uninformed criticism around rather than at least try to contribute meaningfully to the discussion?

Phaezen

First Post
John,
Glad to hear the Feywild sounds like the sort of place it should be: somewhat scary and alien.

Can you give any hints about the role the Fomorians play? Are they just violent comic foils or something far uglier?

Oh, and what is the street date for MoP, anyone know?
What he said.

As for the street date, usualy the third Tuesday of the month (which would be the 16th in this case - 1 week and drooling counting.

Phaezen

MrMyth

First Post
As for the actual topic on hand - seeing that John Rogers (who I was familiar with from his amazing work on Blue Beetle) was working on Manual of the Planes made that product the one I was most anticipating in 4E. Finding out that he was specifically working on the Feywild - and taking the Fey in exactly the direction I was hoping they would go - was just icing on the cake.

I'm already working Primordial / Fey strangeness into my game ideas, and I am confident that MotP is only going to further spark ideas for countless adventures to come.

Aldarc

Legend
jonrog1:

My understanding is that goblins were not fey, but in the Feywild Table of Contents there is a section devoted to a Goblin Kingdom. What can you tell us about it and is it in any way influenced by the movie Labyrinth?

Remove ads