• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E SR and DR; is there a place in Next for them?

Li Shenron

Legend
So all this to my questions.

1.) Is the a place for DR/SR in the next edition of D&D?

2.) How should SR be handled to keep wizards from directly nuking, but still active in a fight?

3.) How should DR be done: all or nothing? Resist partial blows? Should it be against silver, magic, +X items, or various special materials based on monster?

4.) Should it be a module, or part of the core experience?

I am fine with how SR and DR are handled in 3ed (I prefer 3.0 DR over 3.5).

But that said, I don't think SR is really needed in the game as a separate mechanic.

Do you want Drow to be highly resistant to magic? Just give them a +10 bonus on saves against spells. Rakshasa to be nearly untouchable? Give them +20. And then give them a special ability that just allows them to ignore all seconday effects in case of a failed save.

DR is trickier... you could opt to just give the monster additional HP because after all that's the main effect of DR (this way you'd get rid of the case when some PCs cannot even hurt the monster, if that's what you want), but personally I really like the idea of some monsters being harmed only by special weapons. There is already a general rule about vulnerability and resistance, so you could say that demons are vulnerable to cold iron and resistant to every other weapon, that would be quite enough for me.

All in all I think the main problem with SR and DR in the past was not really how they worked, but rather the fact that they were too common in monsters. If these are kept fairly rare in the game, the problems such as the golf bag disappear.

[edit: just checked this week's rules-of-three, and thought that I'm fine with that direction... it's quite similar to what I actually had in mind]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads