SSS - Advanced Player Guide Critical Hits

Beastman

First Post
Hello @All,

Can someone plase tell me, what the critical hit / fumble tables in SSS' Advanced Player Guide are, i.e. are there separate charts for each weapon and / or damage type, spellcasting / energy criticals / fumbles and do they differentiate between various creature types?

Or can someone direct me to a good critical system, that is a system not only describing game mechanics by using various charts (such as old AD&D 2nd Edition PO: Combat & Tactics), but also a detailed description of a critical effect (such as the Warhammer FRP critical hit charts).

Thanx in advance!

ender_wiggin

First Post
Depends if you want to pay

Torn Asunder (bastion press) uses the mechanic where if your attack roll is 5 higher than their AC its a critical threat. It uses lots of little tables, but personally I'm compiling everything into a single table, where a d% is rolled for a result. The wound details the book offers is thorough but completely uninspired ("your arm is lacerated" or "the bone has been snapped cleanly"). Still, there are a few good things in there and if you have the cash it might be worth looking into.

Patrick O'Duffy

First Post
Beastman said:
Hello @All,

Can someone plase tell me, what the critical hit / fumble tables in SSS' Advanced Player Guide are, i.e. are there separate charts for each weapon and / or damage type, spellcasting / energy criticals / fumbles and do they differentiate between various creature types?!

The charts differentiate by hit location and damage type, include energy types.

In addition to those critical hits, there's a seperate (but compatible) system for spellcasting critical successes and fumbles.

No differentiation by specific weapons or by creature types, sorry.

Ghostwind

First Post
AS EW just said, Torn Asunder is a good option and it's only $5.00 at the Bastion Press onine store (until the 31st only) along with about every other Bastion book at that price. ;)

DMH

First Post
Torn Asunder has a tripart system of critical effects:

5-9 over will net a -2 on skills relating to the struck part

10-14 over will net a -5 or -8 and

15+ over will result in the loss of the struck area. Head and torso hits will kill, but may not instantaniously (Con modifier rounds till death).

The book also has how healing spells affect critical effects (and a bunch more stuff).

I consider it a must for CoC d20 and other d20 horror games.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Beastman said:
Hello @All,

Can someone plase tell me, what the critical hit / fumble tables in SSS' Advanced Player Guide are, i.e. are there separate charts for each weapon and / or damage type, spellcasting / energy criticals / fumbles and do they differentiate between various creature types?

Or can someone direct me to a good critical system, that is a system not only describing game mechanics by using various charts (such as old AD&D 2nd Edition PO: Combat & Tactics), but also a detailed description of a critical effect (such as the Warhammer FRP critical hit charts).

Thanx in advance!

I can't speak for Torn Asunder, but SSS Advanced Player's Guide uses a system where you have 4 basic weapon types: piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, energy. You reduce the standard crit effects by one (i.e. a x3 crit multiplier becomes x2) to account for the critical table effects. You roll against the chart and the effects vary by how large a number you roll, affected by damage and other modifiers - everything from a -2 to skill checks to instant death.

The basic effects are near-identical between weapon types (for a given numerical result on the chart), the difference is the descriptive text.

I tried to introduce this system and my players whined like little girls - they complained that the instant death effects were unfair and the chart created by one of the players was already available (his chart doesn't differentiate between weapon types either and they want an unfair advantage since NPCs and monsters have to roll 20 higher than they have to roll to accomplish the same effect.)

I'll have to check out Torn Asunder for myself.

Remove ads