D&D 5E Stalker0's Alternate Concentration v2.0

Stalker0

Legend
I got some good feedback on my last concentration idea that it was simply too complicated, so I'm trying a new version. In this version I am trying to address two areas:

1) Allow for stacking of concentration spells, but with risks to the stacking.
2) Adjust the Con save mechanic. I do not enjoy how often you have to roll for concentration in a typical fight, and I dislike how a lot of small attacks are often harder on concentrating than one large one. We are going to streamline the mechanic.
3) Adjust some high level spells to make disruption more viable. Aka the caster can't polymorph a creature, and then send it against the party while sitting in a closed room, negating the disruption concept.

Alternate Concentration Rule

1) Disruption Level + Number of Current Concentration Spells <= Proficiency Mod. At the start of the caster's turn, if your past your concentration limit, the caster must lose concentration spells to return to the limit.
2) Disruption Threshold: A caster has a Disruption Threshold = 3 x level (or 3 x CR). Minimum 10. If a caster has no concentration spells active, its threshold is infinite.
3) Disruption Level: A creature or trap can disrupt a caster if, on its turn, it can deal total damage equal or greater than the caster's disruption threshold. This increases the caster's Disruption Level by 1. A caster cannot be disrupted more than once a round.
4) Lowering Disruption: At the start of a caster's turn, if it was not disrupted during the previous round, its Disruption level reduces by 1 (minimum 0).

--Designer Notes: So now a caster can focus on multiple concentration spells, and this scales with higher levels. However, the more spells you pack on, the more likely you are disrupted.
The disruption mechanic replaces the con save. All of the excess rolls have been removed, now...once a caster has heard all the damage it took from another creature, it can simply check off whether its disrupted or not, so no rolls, and minimum tracking. (this is an area I would love feedback on. In all of the games I've run, it is customary to total the damage and deliver it in one number. So this system is very efficient. However, its more difficult if players give damage one attack at a time, so I would like to know how groups generally do it). Lastly, all damage is equal. It doesn't matter if you deliver the damage in one big spell or 4 attacks...the disruption is the same.

On the caster side, while disruption is somewhat more automatic, they can now give themselves a buffer to protect against it, or can buff up and take the risk. They can also work to pull back for a round in order to get their buffer back. Caster's now can also usually take one round of combat before they are in true danger of disruption, so it weakens the "alpha strike" that casters can often suffer.

Spell Adjustments to work with New Mechanic

Wall of Force: The wall is resistant to all damage and has infinite hitpoints (instead of immune from damage). Any damage done to the wall counts against the caster's disruption threshold.

Polymorph: Any damage done to the polymorphed form counts against the caster's disruption level.

Forcecage: The cage is resistant to all damage (instead of immune) and has infinite hitpoints. Damage done to the cage counts against the caster's disruption threshold.

--Designer Notes: So for spells like polymorph, this prevents the weird situation where if the caster casts the spell on themselves, its highly disruptable, but if they cast it on another and hide, it undisruptable. Now you can target the "spell" as well as the "caster". For wall/force cage type spells, this gives your martial characters some mundane ways to deal with it, though it still takes quite a lot of damage to trigger disruption, but at least its an option.

Alternate Concentration Rule (version B)
If you like the concept, but simply do not like that a caster can only be disrupted once per round, or cannot be greatly disrupted by a "really" big attack...this version addresses that, at the expense of a little more tracking. This version also makes it easier for a "group" to disrupt a caster, but harder for a single individual. I have put in bold the changes.

1) Disruption Level / 2 + Number of Current Concentration Spells <= Proficiency Mod. At the start of the caster's turn, if your past your concentration limit, the caster must lose concentration spells to return to the limit.
2) Disruption Threshold: A caster has a Disruption Threshold = 3 x level (or 3 x CR). Minimum 10. If a caster has no concentration spells active, its threshold is infinite.
3) Disruption Level: A creature or trap can disrupt a caster if, on its turn, it can deal total damage equal or greater than the caster's disruption threshold. This increases the caster's Disruption Level by 1. If the damage is twice the disruption threshold, increase the level by 2. A caster cannot be disrupted more than once a round.
4) Lowering Disruption: At the start of a caster's turn, if it was not disrupted during the previous round, its Disruption level reduces by 2 (minimum 0).

Although I have my own distaste about concentration, your solution is overly complicated, requires a bit more tracking and is at cross purpose with the goal that concentration tries and does reach. That is to prevent too many spells to stack.

My only distaste with concentration is when a a spell requires concentration and allows a save every round. It should be one or the other, not both. We have our own rule on concentration which I gave in your previous thread. Go and see it if want. It works wonders at our table, does not go against the goals of the concentration rule and is easy to apply. And it stands on a few simple lines.

GlassJaw

Hero
You put a lot of work into this but it's far too complicated for tabletop play. Might be good for a video game where the tracking is done for you.

Remove ads