Stalker0's Alternate Core Skill Challenge System: FINAL VERSION 1.8!

lgw

First Post
Thanks for the great work. After some gut approach to fix WotC's standard system, we instead opted to try yours (this or Obsidian) in next sessions.

Some questions for you, though:
1) Have you ever had a good idea how to incorporate Action Points (give the PCs a way to spend them in a helpful way) ?
2) Have you thought about a to incorporate critical successes ? We so far liked the simple rule that rolling a natural 20 gives the following PC a +2 to his next check.
3) While your math for level 1 looks very sound, I consider the increase of DCs till 30 levels to be a bit too low, based on my own calculations. I think you don't account for the bonuses people can gain from improvements via feats, powers, items and some random other sources. Eyeballing it the DCs at level 30 should probably be +1 / +3 / +6 for easy / medium / hard, if you want to keep chances about as even as at level 1, although that is surely difficult due the increasing spread over the levels. Could you clarify on that ?

Lord Welkerfan

First Post
I don't know how much any of you follow what Wizards publishes, but they seem to have made some progress in understanding what exactly a skill challenge is and how to implement it in games.

For example, they've recently moved towards using a series of low complexity skill challenges instead of one high complexity one.

So I ask, is this system still better than the (many times revised) core system?

dammitbiscuit

First Post
I don't know how much any of you follow what Wizards publishes, but they seem to have made some progress in understanding what exactly a skill challenge is and how to implement it in games.

For example, they've recently moved towards using a series of low complexity skill challenges instead of one high complexity one.

So I ask, is this system still better than the (many times revised) core system?
I honestly don't have the patience to keep up with the (many times revised) core system. Whenever I play in a game where someone's using it, there's this feeling of "Oh, is that how they're doing it now? It's fascinating, what those rascally kids have gotten up to."
Last time I played with it, for instance, the one thing I noticed most was that it was nigh-impossible to fail at even a single roll, much less the whole challenge. (that was on PHB2 game day)

This system has solid math, good dramatic tension, and mechanics that players can easily grasp. You won't have to repeatedly check the WotC website to see what the Errata Of The Week is, for it. I'd say that makes it better than.... whatever the hell WotC is doing with skill challenges these days.

Keenath

Explorer
I honestly don't have the patience to keep up with the (many times revised) core system.
I think if there's one problem with Stalker's system, it's just that it's fairly complex. Not at complicated as combat, I admit, but it does put a certain set of limitations on skill challenges that you have to follow.

That said, the DC lists are definitely more appropriate IMO. I may not use the rest of the system, but I'll borrow those every time.

Reyemile

First Post
Hate to necro a thread, but I've been using this system for a while and it's great. Only addition to had is that this system has no use for action points, even though it contributes to milestones, and thus grants them. My solution: Any player can spend an AP to Guiding Light on his turn, in addition to his regular action.

Reyemile

First Post
I found the straight-up reroll boring; it was entirely reactive, and the constant safety net removed some of the feeling of tension that challenges are supposed to create. I developed my solution because I wanted my players to be spending their resources proactively.

eriktheguy

First Post
I like this. Thanks! I use both this and your alternate non-core system. That way some challenges require the whole party to participate and others focus on a few players and feel more dangerous.
I didn't see a one-page PDF version of this one though, like you have for your other skill challenge system. I made one for my own use.

Attachments

• ObsAltCore.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 166

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases