Release Star Trek Adventures: Core Rulebook Released in PDF!

Modiphius Entertainment’s Star Trek Adventures: Core Rulebook is now available on PDF through DriveThruRPG/RPGNow. Star Trek Adventures is one of this summers BIG releases and Modiphius have been hot at work making sure there’ll be plenty of support for GMs and Players coming in the next few months.

Modiphius Entertainment’s Star Trek Adventures: Core Rulebook is now available on PDF through DriveThruRPG/RPGNow. Star Trek Adventures is one of this summers BIG releases and Modiphius have been hot at work making sure there’ll be plenty of support for GMs and Players coming in the next few months.

Starfleet Needs A New Crew!

Welcome to your new assignment, Captain. Your continuing mission, to explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, to bodly go where no one has gone before…

Star Trek Adventures takes you to the Final Frontier of the Galaxy, where new discoveries await keen explorers of Starfleet. Your duties may take you to the edges of known space, or to Federation colonies in need, to the borders of neighbouring galactic powers or into the eye of interstellar phenomena. Your ship and your crew epitomise the best Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets has to offer, and you are needed more than ever.

A new threat looms from across the Gamma Quadrant, as it is confirmed by Commander Sisko and his crew that the Dominion, led by the Founders, represent a significant threat to the Alpha Quadrant. Tension is already high in the region of Bajor and Deep Space 9, as the Maquis continue to act against the Cardassian-Federation peace treaty, with Captain Janeway and the crew of the U.S.S. Voyager preparing for their mission in the Badlands. It is a volatile time for the Federation and new crews have never been in higher demand.

• Create your own Star Trek stories of discovery and adventure on the Final Frontier with 368 pages of content. Full colour PDF.

• Complete 2d20 game system from Modiphius Entertainment adapted for Star Trek Adventures, used in Mutant Chronicles, Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of, John Carter of Mars and the Infinity RPG.

• An extensive exploration of the United Federation of Planets and its galactic neighbours in the Alpha, Beta and Gamma Quadrants.

• Guidelines for Gamemasters old and new, on how to run an adventure of exploration and discovery for the crew of a Federation starship.

• A full catalogue of aliens and antagonists including Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, the Borg and the Dominion.

• Brought to you by a team of expert Star Trek writers including writers from previous editions of Star Trek roleplaying games and other gaming talent.

• Personal logs and intercepted communications by Starfleet Intelligence provide a new perspective on Star Trek and its events.
SaveSave

Where did you read that?

Apparently I'm totally mis-remembering.
I thought I recalled seeing that somewhere during the playtest period. And since the book contains zero movie imagery (the 2285-2360 red uniforms, the refit Constitution, the 2370- black and grey uniforms, the Enterprise E, etc) I just took the comment as factual. It was probably speculative...

The comment I'm thinking of (Here? Morphidius' site? On Twitter?) was based on the fact the rights for the movies are owned by Paramount and the rights to the TV shows are CBS. But maybe that's just modern rights and the rights to the old movies are owned or co-owned by CBS...

Thank you. And I think a laugh is warranted over the abbreviation for the new series...."STD." Huh. Hope it's better than the other meaning.
It amuses me to. Which is why I go out of my way to use it...

lyle.spade

Adventurer
The issue of IP and what Modiphius can and cannot use is interesting. I grew up on syndicated TOS and the TOS movies; enjoyed TNG a great deal when it was originally on; and watched both DS9 and VOY when they were on, too. ENT sucked. TAS? Wonderfully awful in so many ways, like a great/bad B-movie.

I see this issue, as related to the game, in two ways. First, I'd love to see TOS material, including the first movies. It's clear that TNG, DS9, and VOY are all well within the license and their plans on what to do with it - seems that way, at least, given what's in the book. If there were a book, or parts of books, addressing TOS I think they'd make a lot of people really happy.

On the other hand, there is so much TOS material out there on wikis, in more books than can fit on my shelf, and in materials from the OOP ST RPGs, that it will not be difficult at all for a GM to stat up ships, people, equipment, and flesh out worlds and other TOS-specific things and norms. If any of you have the STIII Sourcebook Update from the FASA version, there's a great, short adventure in the back that's set firmly in the TOS:Movies era, and I'm going to run that at a local con in a few months, using STA. Easy. I don't have stats for a Reliant-class ship...not yet, at least. For even the mildly industrious GM this will be an easy and, for me, fun exercise in creation. I'll dig back into my old FASA and LUG materials, along with the non-game books I've got, and I'll go from there.

Yes, I will likely buy TOS stuff from Modiphius if they print it, but I don't need it to set a game there, or elsewhere. Anywhere, really. ("hello, old Klingons supplement! howdy Starfleet Academy boxed set...")

And if by the time you've reached this part of my post and are thinking the same things, I'd love to share stats and ideas for ships, locations, and people, once I get my head around the system more firmly.

rebbeman

Villager
FYI, having bought the PDF and looked at the character creation chapter, the game very specifically covers three eras - Enterprise, TOS, and TNG. BUT there appear to be more resources in the core book for TNG era and from a quick glance the art also reflects that.

The issue of IP and what Modiphius can and cannot use is interesting. I grew up on syndicated TOS and the TOS movies; enjoyed TNG a great deal when it was originally on; and watched both DS9 and VOY when they were on, too. ENT sucked. TAS? Wonderfully awful in so many ways, like a great/bad B-movie.
Enterprise was just uneven. The good episodes are good, the bad episodes are terrible.
One of the problems with it was that it was coming after 14 years of Trek, so there were just fewer stories that seemed fresh. And the formula for an episode was just too established.
When the show broke away and did its own thing, like in Season 4, it was pretty solid.

On the other hand, there is so much TOS material out there on wikis, in more books than can fit on my shelf, and in materials from the OOP ST RPGs, that it will not be difficult at all for a GM to stat up ships, people, equipment, and flesh out worlds and other TOS-specific things and norms. If any of you have the STIII Sourcebook Update from the FASA version, there's a great, short adventure in the back that's set firmly in the TOS:Movies era, and I'm going to run that at a local con in a few months, using STA. Easy.
Lore isn't much of an issue. Star Trek has some great wikis.
Making enemy ships is tricky since making space frames and enemy NPCs isn't as detailed as one might like. And you need to make up talents, which requires some system mastery...

I don't have stats for a Reliant-class ship...not yet, at least. For even the mildly industrious GM this will be an easy and, for me, fun exercise in creation. I'll dig back into my old FASA and LUG materials, along with the non-game books I've got, and I'll go from there.
It's Miranda class. It's in the book.

Yes, I will likely buy TOS stuff from Modiphius if they print it, but I don't need it to set a game there, or elsewhere. Anywhere, really. ("hello, old Klingons supplement! howdy Starfleet Academy boxed set...")
I wouldn't mind a few really nice hardcover accessories. I'm not sure I really need a book on each quadrant and division and era. Fewer, but really comprehensive books are much more valuable to me than many small, focused accessories.

Staffan

Legend
FYI, having bought the PDF and looked at the character creation chapter, the game very specifically covers three eras - Enterprise, TOS, and TNG. BUT there appear to be more resources in the core book for TNG era and from a quick glance the art also reflects that.
That's pretty reasonable. The TNG era is by far the one with the deepest official lore (21 seasons plus 4 movies, as opposed to 3 seasons plus 6 movies for TOS and 4 seasons for ENT), so it makes sense to make that the primary focus.

JPL

Adventurer
Are we calling it "STD" now? Is that the plan?

Any rules for generating advanced characters, or do we have to crawl our way up from Ensign?

Any rules for non-coms? I loves me some Chief O'Brien. My head-canon is that on big ships, the Ops Manager tends to be a high-ranking guy like Data, maybe Second Officer; on mid-sized ships, it's more likely a gifted youngster Ensign like Harry Kim; but any of the smaller ships (Saber class, that sorta thing), Ops is usually a Chief Petty Officer who is the "Chief of the Boat" in 21st century submarine terms --- the ranking non-com and representative of the enlisted crew.

oneshot

Explorer
@JPL,

Not officially. It's mostly called "DSC" or "DIS" to correspond with the other three-letter abbreviations: TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT.

The default is producing the command staff of a starship, though you can create officers of various ranks and levels of real world experience. The game doesn't level from zero to hero, however, so PCs start out at about the same level of competence, whether they are the captain or an ensign.

Yes, there's a sidebar in the chargen chapter about how to create enlisted officers.

Remove ads

Remove ads