Stardust

Piratecat said:
I was one of the few people disappointed, largely because I've loved and internalized the illustrated book. I have a strong internal vision of what Stardust should look like, and sections of the movie really screwed with that. The difference was jarring!
I liked both, but I probably prefer the book.

I didn't find it jarring at all, but probably because I didn't expect them to make the book into a film - nobody apart from me and you would have wanted to see it!

Asmor

First Post
Just rented it today and man, what a great film! I honestly didn't know what to expect getting in, but I loved it. Definitely seemed to be in the same vein of movies as the Princess Bride, but perhaps a bit more epic.

kingpaul

First Post
I Netflixed it rather recently, and really enjoyed the movie. I had read the book once I saw a trailer to see what the story was about (hadn't read it before). I think the book was better (as I usually do), but thought both mediums were well done.

Orius

Legend
Just saw it on DVD. I would have picked it up sooner if I knew it was going to be this good.

I think this movie has the potential to actually dethrone The Princess Bride.

Oh, sorry about that puase. I though I heard Wallace Shawn screaming, "Inconceiveable!" :]

It starts off kind of slow, but damn once this movie got rolling I was hooked.

Michelle Pfiffer was great as Lamia. One of the best villains I've seen in years. Septimus was also another terrific villain. "No brother, you killed the bishop by drinking out of the wrong cup." Totally tops the poison goblet scene from The Princess Bride.

And de Nero was great as the sky pirate. The airship was cool. Let's be honest: how many Eberron campaigns has he flown into so far? :] (Hey, he's bootlegging the lightning for those trains!) :)

The wall guard: he's 97 and he's doing somesaults and kicking ass. Damn.

And I'm glad
Tristan picked Yvaine over that high-maintenance Victoria. She's hotter, she's more honest with him, and she rides unicorns. Makes me sorry I live on the wrong side of the wall.

Anyway great movie. I'm thinking I should check out some of Gaiman's writing, I like both this movie and Beowulf and he was involved with both. And books have always been > film.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Gaiman's stuff is amazing. I recommend you check out first his short-story collections gives a nice range of his writing style.

They are:
-Fragile Things
-Smoke and Mirrors

Remove ads