• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Stars Without Number] Any interest in a Third-Party Setting?

Shades of Green

First Post
I have the basic elements of a setting - which would eventually grow into a fully-detailed sector - for Stars Without Number; I also have the (electronically) written permission from SWN's author, Kevin Crawford, to publish it commercially as a third-party product if I wish to do so.

For those of you unfamiliar with Stars Without Number, it is a rules-light, old-school-inspired, sandbox-enabled space-opera sci-fi RPG by the talented Kevin Crawford. While its inspiration is drawn from the fantasy and sci-fi RPGs of the 1970's and 1980's, the ruleset itself is quite modern and has several novelties.

A short blurb about my setting:

The Alkonost Sector is an area of space home to 40 worlds and 4 polities. While the “lower” half of the sector is relatively well-developed and engaged in inter-polity wars, the “upper” half is relatively backwards and primitive – and up for grabs for whomever could overcome its dangers. In addition to Humans, two alien races are present – the felinoid Fanja-Kanja and the insectoid Inheritors, as well as the sentient (and Unbraked) AI Cores of the Incunablis Machine Empire.

This area of space is rife with conflict and intrigue and has a long and bloody history. Therefore, opportunity for adventure abound. Just to name a few, there are civil wars on Ashera and Chomesh, a cold war between the Liberated Worlds, the Incunablis Machine Empire and the Kedeshian State, conspiracies within the Restored Alkonost Republic, roving Inheritor merchant-pirates, industrial conflict on Svarog, ultratech artefacts amongst the ruins of Ashtoreth, Witch-queens on Baba Yaga, tribal strife on Zariya – and many more.

Sector Map:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If there will be enough interest in this as a third-party sourcebook, I'll start working on it as a commercial book. Better yet, if enough people will be interested in it, I will consider creating a Crowd Funding project (on Kickstarter or IndiGoGo) so that I'll have the money to hire more artists to make it truly memorable.

What do you think?

Bayonet Priest

First Post
Haha!, take that stupid SFRPG boards. Taking days to post my reply *grumble* :p

Anyway, as I tried to say over there, yes I am interested in your Alkonost setting. I love what I've seen of it so far and would very much like to see more. It seems to be a very flexible setting for different kinds of adventures, what with the wildspace to the north and the inter(steller)national intrigue to the south.

Remove ads