D&D General Starter set campaigns from older editions?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is this something they do with each edition like how they did lost mines of phandelver for 5e?

Im curious if this is the case as i consider lmop to be a great story and introduction to dnd but you can only run it so many times. If this is not the case are there any other older edition starter campaigns held in high regard that could be or have been adapted to 5e rules?

Check this out, the first two intro adventures for old time D&D updated to 5E:

Sunless Citadel in Tales from the Yawning Portal was the intro for 3E.

Lost Mines of Phandelver, however, is the best starting module ever.

JeffB

Legend
Advenures from starter sets-
4E- Reavers of Harkenwold in the DM Kit is fantastic and will give you a lot of bang for the buck. The other starter set from 2008 or so- not worth your time.

3E-I've got the 3.0 and 3.5 (lack dragon)sets. Neither are all that great if you have experienced players,but are very good for newbie players.

2E- The Intro to AD&D (also the Big black box, the first quest and the big yellow box have the same thing) has 3 decent adventures. The Silver Anniversary starter set is not bad either.

1E, no such thing, but T1 (by itself), L1, U1 N1 are great low level starters (And L1 is a real sandbox)

For 3E- I'd look at D20 products outside WOTC-
The Coin Trilogy (Kingdoms of Kalamar) is a great starter campaign and it's official! ;)
Of Sound Mind, by our very own PirateCat.
The Crucible of Freya by Necromancer.
I know The Sunless Citadel gets a lot of love, but it always plays out the same IME, which IMO, makes for a boring/mediocre adventure.

Goodman Games best D20 stuff were 4E modules- Mists of Madness, Isle of the Sea Drake, The Forgotten Portal, etc.

Of course B1-6 are classics for a reason. As are X1-X5.

JeffB

Legend
Totally forgot. Well worth your $-I would dive into Troll Lord Games' - Aufstrag campaign- The A series modules. A0-A5 is like LMoP on steroids. I've run them in C&C, but they have 5E versions now too.

Edit- Actually A0 & A1 are probably more adventure material than LmOP is. But it's worth picking up the first 3 or-5 anyway. A big sandbox area, that also has a central campaign plot/theme if you want to run it that way,

delphonso

Explorer
Anyone remember what the 3.5 box set was? It was a dungeon crawl - and only a one-shot. Ended with slaying a blue dragon. The adventure was printed in a little paperback book and came with a PHB, one set of dice, and some figurines.

It wasn't Sunless Citadel, honestly it might not even have a name. That was the first DnD thing I ever bought. My buddy and I got it our first year of high school.

NineLizards

Explorer
I didn't even ever see a 3.5 starter set in real life, our here in the boondocks... But a quick Google shows that there were actually two versions, one with and one without character creation rules.

Still, can't help it: IMHO the 5e starter set had been the best of all. Only took 20+ years to finally get it right :cool:

@darj, what paperback?

S'mon

Legend
The B-series adventures in B/X & BECMI were designed for novice GMs. The ones actually packed with the Basic rules were B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 Keep on the Borderlands.

I think 5e has done vastly better on Starter Sets than previous editions, Moldvay Basic excepted. The 3e (and 4e?) stuff was pretty throwaway & unsatisfying.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases