Starting level for Red Hand of Doom?

Davelozzi

Explorer
I know that this has come up before, but since I don't have search function at present, needed to put the question out there again. The cover of Red Hand of Doom lists character levels 6-12, but in the intro it says that its designed for a party beginning at 5th level. Does anyone recall which was correct?

Thurbane

First Post
5th is correct - unfortunately when we played, we started at 6th due to the printing error, and a lot of the early challenges were a pushover. :\

vrock

First Post
I started mine at 6th and the players are having a blast. If you start them at 5th make sure there is a dedicated healer in the party or things could go south in a hurry. Especially on some of the encounters in chapter 1. My party makeup is Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, Warlock, so lots of offense not much in terms of healing or utility spells.

However I'm finding that I need to give the baddies a few extra HP in later chapters just because of the sheer damage output my party can put out. 1 extra HP per HD seems to keep things balanced with their power level.

jeffh

Adventurer
I started mine at 5th and they stomped all over the first encounter, which I thought would be tough. But they have Action Points, more Feats than standard characters, items from the Magic Item Compendium (i.e. they actually do something useful), and a few other changes from the standard rules, most of which work in their favour. For the second session, I started powering up the bad guys using the same rules minus action points, and they still blew them away. Throw in a method for generating ability scores which is, while not producing all 18s or anything stupid like that, nevertheless much more generous than 25-point buy, and they are probably at a power level more comparable to the standard 6th level playtest characters, maybe even 7th.

The group is going to fail at least chapter one disastrously, but not for reasons that have anything to do with the power level of the characters. They've basically dithered around and spied on the Keep for days on end; it's now day six and they're on the way back to Verge (my Mystaran stand-in for Drellin's Ferry) having accomplished essentially nothing, so they've in effect already lost the battle for the Skull Gorge Bridge by the simple fact that there's no possible way they can show up for it! I warned them over and over that the module is on a timeline, but did they listen? Apparently not... :mad: So they'll go into chapter two well short of 6th level. We'll see how that goes - from a balance standpoint it may be a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:

brehobit

Explorer
jeffh said:
I started mine at 5th and they stomped all over the first encounter, which I thought would be tough. But they have Action Points, more Feats than standard characters, items from the Magic Item Compendium (i.e. they actually do something useful), and a few other changes from the standard rules, most of which work in their favour.

I'll toss in a "yepper" here. If you are playing core-only 25 points, I'd strongly recommend 6th level. If you are playing all WoTC books and 32 points with action points (as my group did) 5th level is fine.

Starting an Age of Worms campaign as a player with core-only 25 points. From what I hear, it may be a blood bath....

Mark

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I started mine out at 6th level, five PCs with an addtional two NPCs for support, and allowed them to fight the extra encounter from the website to gain more experience before even hitting DF. We used the 28 point buy and I do not pull punches, rolling most combat in front of the players and letting the dice fall where they may. they had it tough right from the start and would have been wiped out at 5th level. A higher point buy might make all the difference in the world for this situation.

Remove ads