D&D 5E Starting level

What Starting Level?

• 1st. Obviously.

Votes: 92 73.0%
  • 3rd. Because, archetypes.

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • 5th. Because, reasons (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Poll closed .

Tallifer

Hero
1st level. Also, I have tweaked the experience table for my game so that the low levels take longer to earn. 2,000 for 2nd; 4,000 for 3rd; 8,000 for 4th; 12,000 for 5th.

Many of my players are new to the game or to 5th Edition, so we like to take time to experience a character at each level.

Also, I have a harder time figuring out encounters at higher levels. I am already struggling with my 6th level group!

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'm not sure how you can't understand? My own feeling is that unless the character begins their adventuring career 'properly' they are somewhat incomplete.. I like the formative levels, the ones where they are new, fresh, basic, and learning the adventuring life, I like playing the sense of wonderment, naivety and inexperience and basing some of their later personality on those early experiences.

If I start a character at a higher level they feel more disposable, like a character for a one-shot scenario.

Not that long ago I joined a 2E campaign - everyone else was 4th/5th level already - I started at 1st.

You didn't play through all of their levels--sure, I get that. I just don't get how they can't feel like you created them, when by definition you created them, unless someone else made the character for you and handed you the sheet. "Incompleteness" is one thing--but feeling like the character doesn't even *belong* to you? That I can't understand.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I tend to start games at 1st level. I also tend to end them there, because I run a lot of 1-shot introductory games and AL or the venue I'm running at always seem to insist they start at 1st.

Personally, having run a lot of 1st level 5e, I'd advocate strongly for starting at 3rd. It makes PCs more survivable, and allows them to realize their basic concepts by choosing archetypes or (with the right optional rules) multi-classing, particularly taking traditional multi-class combos, like Fighter/Magic-user or Fighter/Cleric/Thief. The only downside is that it dump a lot of spells on you from the beginning.

JonnyP71

Explorer
You didn't play through all of their levels--sure, I get that. I just don't get how they can't feel like you created them, when by definition you created them, unless someone else made the character for you and handed you the sheet. "Incompleteness" is one thing--but feeling like the character doesn't even *belong* to you? That I can't understand.

Simple - I feel no attachment to them whatsoever if I did not begin them at the very start of their adventuring career.

brehobit

Explorer
I generally run one-shots at 3rd level (which is the sweet spot for newer players IMO). But full games start at 1st (or 0 on occasion).

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Almost 3 to 1 now. What does this poll actually have to stay open for/are you hoping to see/find happen?

People start their campaigns at 1st level...almost 3 to 1.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Important reminder: This poll shows what Enworld forum users willing to vote in the poll do, not what "people" do, as even the most prominently shared traits among us all here are not necessarily illustrative of the D&D playing populace at large.

Almost 3 to 1 now. What does this poll actually have to stay open for/are you hoping to see/find happen?

Hi

Well, it's my first ever poll so I just set it to run a few days. If you're tired of seeing it here, maybe just ignore it?

What am I hoping to see? As many individuals responding as wish to. In order to satisfy a curiosity I had.

Nothing sinister. Maybe nothing interesting to you. But that's why it's here. You seem irked by its presence, somehow.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I start campaign at 1st level. I like how PC starts slow and by 3rd level get to choose to define their character a little more.

Remove ads