Starting skill points

Malin Genie

First Post
I don't like the idea of a Fighter1/Rogue1 with Intelligence 10 getting 34/39 skill points if the classes are taken in one order, and 16/21 if taken in the other.

While starting as a Fighter does give some advantages (ability to take Finesse, Focus etc as first level feats, and +1 hp on average) I think the gap in skill points is too high.

Proposed House Rule:

You get 3x your normal allocation at 1st level, and 2x your normal allocation at 2nd. Your maximum rank in any skill is 3 at first level, and 5 at second. After that, skill points gained and max ranks as normal.

Alternative: 2x allocation at 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Max ranks 2/4/6. Although this does defer synergy bonuses to 3rd level....

ANy comments/criticisms would be appreciated.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Nice idea. Slight problem with reduced capabilities for all PCs at first level. I offer an alternative that rights this problem.

This system requires a character to use the multiclassing at 1st level rules from the DMG.

1st level skill points:
Gain x2 skill points for each class. If human, +2 skill points for each class.
Frex: Human apprentice Fighter/Rogue with 10 Int gets 6 fighter and 18 rogue skill points.

2nd level skill points.
Gain x0.5 skill points for each class. If human, +0.5 skill points for each class. If this results in fractions, the preferred class rounds up, the other one rounds down.
Frex: above character gains 1 fighter and 4 rogue skill points, +1 human skill point to preferred class.

You might want to allow multiclassing without a preferred class if using this rule.

Last edited:

~Joseph~

First Post
well, I know that you don't really want to here this, but the ROLE PLAYING resoning behind getting 4xskill points at first level is becase you have been gaining these skills for from anywhere between 16 to 25 years, where as you level up it illustrates how you've become more adept at using those skills from your expiriences.
Now if your character was training as a fighter for 15 or so years, he'd be more likely to train his strength, coordination and weapon proficiencies than his ability to move silently and pick locks.
Now you can avoid all these problems by starting out as an apprenticed rouge/fighter with rouge as your primary class. This gives you at first level, you get one bonus feat(2 as human) plus normal first level feat for a total of three, +1 fort and ref, 6hp+con, prficiency in all weapons, armor, shields, etc. and 24 +(int mod x4) + 4(human), human with int at 10, = 28 sill points,
now you can take all thos feats you wanted and still have 34 skill points.

This also sets you up nicely to write up a new PrC, to explain how you were trained in subterfuge and combat, OOOOOOOOOOO
I think I'll steal that idea my self

Last edited:

peterka1

First Post
extra skills points at 1 and 2 are better for game balance but not good for roleplaying...

But if you start at mid-levels, there no real roleplaying issues...

Peopple then will start will the higher HD class, thus. Fighter then rogue...

Don't permit regular rules for those wanting rogue then fighter in order to have xtra skills points...

Aaron2

Explorer
What I've done

What I've done is, before the character picks his first level class, he picks his race and starting age. From a table he gets the number of skill points he starts with and chooses them from a list of racial/background skills. When he picks his first level class, he gets the skill points as if he multiclassed (i.e. 1x not 4x).

For example, if a human starts at 16, he gets 12 starting skill points. At age 21, he gets 15 skill points. Finally, if a human character starts at 31 years old he starts with 18 skill points. Since he only has a small list of "class" skills he may end up with less overall ranks even though he has more skill points.

Aaron

dvvega

Explorer
Aaron: you've got a good idea there. Similiar to my personal system but one step further. Is it possible to grab a hold of that table of yours?

My system is that your race/nationality dictate your 1st level choices to some degree (not all). Your initial feat is usually limited to a list of 3 or 4, and your skills are also limited in choice.

The only issue I see is the 1st level Rogue who needs those skill points for all the skills required to be a good Rogue. You're putting a hole in their canoe a little.

Remove ads