DMs Guild Stat Blocks the OGL, SRD, and DMs Guild: A question

dave2008

Legend
I apologize if this has already been covered and I missed it, but I have a question regarding monster stat blocks: Can you publish a monster stat block that is almost an exact mimic of the layout and style of the official WotC Monster Manual stat blocks? Would it matter if it was published on the DMsGuild or another publisher?

I notice 5ensiders has change the format of their stat blocks to match the official format, but there are noticible are differences that make it unique and it has its own "style." Is this required, or can you just copy the MM style for your own work?

Thanks for any insight.

Roadie

Explorer
If you're using OGL, the 5e stat blocks are in the SRD already. Directly imitating WotC's branding (e.g. colors, fonts, the distinctive wedge-shaped horizontal dividers) would be a bad idea, but the actual functional layout is there for you to use, and you can dress that up however you want as long as you're not using WotC trademark or copyright (one example of my own).

If you're publishing on the DM's Guild site (which is completely separate from the OGL), you've got permission from WotC to use basically everything except the art from the 5e books and from any WotC Forgotten Realms material from earlier editions.

dave2008

Legend
If you're using OGL, the 5e stat blocks are in the SRD already. Directly imitating WotC's branding (e.g. colors, fonts, the distinctive wedge-shaped horizontal dividers) would be a bad idea, but the actual functional layout is there for you to use, and you can dress that up however you want as long as you're not using WotC trademark or copyright (one example of my own).

If you're publishing on the DM's Guild site (which is completely separate from the OGL), you've got permission from WotC to use basically everything except the art from the 5e books and from any WotC Forgotten Realms material from earlier editions.

That's about what I thought, just wasn't sure about the DMs Guild. My current template copies everything except the fonts (though it mimics them). Not sure if I will mix that up or not.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
That's about what I thought, just wasn't sure about the DMs Guild. My current template copies everything except the fonts (though it mimics them). Not sure if I will mix that up or not.

Don't "mimic" as it doesn't really serve you and becomes a trade dress copyright issue. However, look around at the various third party OGL products for 5E and if an overall standardized form is in use, emulate that.

dave2008

Legend
Don't "mimic" as it doesn't really serve you and becomes a trade dress copyright issue. However, look around at the various third party OGL products for 5E and if an overall standardized form is in use, emulate that.

I get that, but I had already made the template for my own personal use, and I've become attached to it. I didn't make it to publish, but now with the DMsGuild I am think of publishing a few things. Didn't want to change my template, but I think it would be best to do so.

Thank you everyone for your input

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I don't know if the Dungeon Master's Guild lets you copy trade dress or not, but the OGL does not.

So, the layout for the Stat Block is opened up by the OGL, but the visual styling, or trade dress, from the PHB/Monster Manual is not.

Basically, don't copy the red, tapered bars. You probably shouldn't use the same title font either, or place it on the same yellow background. Either use the simplified trade dress of the SRD, or make your own.

Remove ads