Stat THE CROVEL

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Crovel Is The Ultimate Survival Tool
crovel-xl-499x309.jpg

I don't know about anybody else, but I want this in my dungeon delver's backpack.

How would you stat it up for your favorite dungeoncrawling game?

SiderisAnon

First Post
Considering the quality difference between modern steel and what could be produced in the period of time most fantasy games are loosely based on, to build something this complicated and make it strong enough for the variety of uses its intended for, it would have to be built by dwarves. Probably with a magic forge. :)

Stats aren't really a problem. It's not really intended as a weapon after all. If you decide to make it a makeshift weapon, the spike probably does 1d3 or 1d4 like a knife or dagger and the shovel probably could work as a club. I'd apply a to-hit penalty since it's really not balanced for that. (It's a makeshift weapon.)

For weight, it would be pretty heavy because there are no modern materials. A shovel with a spike and a fully metal handle? Probably about the weight of a long sword.

Stormonu

Legend
It’s a spade, machete, saw, crowbar, hammer, and can also be used as a grappling hook

machete?!? Somehow, I don't imagine it would be as effective "as the real thing" in that regard. Still, that's quite a combi-tool, probably considered a masterwork (improvised tool) for all the functions it could perform.

Hmm... someone's gonna figure out how to use this with a length of rope, ala a kusari-gama.

GreyLord

Legend
Considering the quality difference between modern steel and what could be produced in the period of time most fantasy games are loosely based on, to build something this complicated and make it strong enough for the variety of uses its intended for, it would have to be built by dwarves. Probably with a magic forge. :)

Stats aren't really a problem. It's not really intended as a weapon after all. If you decide to make it a makeshift weapon, the spike probably does 1d3 or 1d4 like a knife or dagger and the shovel probably could work as a club. I'd apply a to-hit penalty since it's really not balanced for that. (It's a makeshift weapon.)

For weight, it would be pretty heavy because there are no modern materials. A shovel with a spike and a fully metal handle? Probably about the weight of a long sword.

I believe one edge of the shovel side is a saw, the other is an axe blade. Perhaps 1d6 for hitting on the axe side? Same as a handaxe.

Other effects allow you to use it as a crowbar on doors, a shovel when you want to, and a handsaw for cutting through things. It may also be used as a climbing aid, with a 50% chance to cut your self while using it?

Squire James

First Post
Or if it's 4e, try Animated PryCutting Spikeshovel (animated because it needs to be a monster for the naming convention to fit). Quite suitable for pimping out your Flamedeath Donkeyhorse!

Verdande

First Post
"This object is a shovel with a crowbar where the handle should be. It can be used as either.

In addition, it has a bladed edge that can be used to strike with."

You can add damage for, say, a dagger on there, since it's not really supposed to be used like a weapon and shouldn't replace anybody's main weapon.

Unless that weapon is a dagger, and then, who really cares anyways.

Remove ads