• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Stat the Dragonlance heroes

Mercurius

Legend
For those interested, here are the characters' original stats from DL1:
View attachment 151379
Some oddities, that I vaguely remember disagreeing with as a kid.

Tanis and Caramon with the same INT at 12? Caramon is average at best, maybe 10, and Tanis is pretty sharp - which I think Raistlin essentially gives a nod to, saying something like "you're the smartest one of these fools." I'd increase Tanis to 14. Sturm should probably switch his INT and WIS from 14 and 11, to 11 and 14.

And Flint a 7 INT? That seems weird. Maybe the same as Caramon.

Mercurius

Legend
Also, while I can see how one might want to start the whole story arc at 1st, or maybe 3rd, level - most of these folks were adventurers for years. Chronicles starts five years after they separated, and before that they went on adventures, and some of them adventured in the five years apart. So maybe more in the level 5-7 range.

That said, Raistlin explicitly couldn't cast fireball - he was impressed when Fizban did. So the 3rd level starting point for him makes sense.

Now if I was running a Dragonlance campaign meant to simulate the Chronicles, I'd probably start them at 3rd level - but then I'd also give players the options to use either pre-gens or make their own characters, and most/all would just make their own.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Raistlin started as a Red Robe, so illusion makes sense.

As of 1st ed, White Robes had abjuration, enchantment, conjuration, and evocation, Red Robes had alteration/transmutation, illusion, conjuration/summoning, and evocation, and Black Robes had enchantment, summoning, illusion, and necromancy. (Yup, the evil wizards couldn't throw fireballs.)

1e Dragonlance Adventures had Raistlin as a 20th level mage, 3e has him with a few levels in extra classes, but none of them can explain in mechanical terms why he can take on the gods. He has 44 hp, and Takhisis has 999 as of 1e...

Stormonu

Legend
Some oddities, that I vaguely remember disagreeing with as a kid.

Tanis and Caramon with the same INT at 12? Caramon is average at best, maybe 10, and Tanis is pretty sharp - which I think Raistlin essentially gives a nod to, saying something like "you're the smartest one of these fools." I'd increase Tanis to 14. Sturm should probably switch his INT and WIS from 14 and 11, to 11 and 14.

And Flint a 7 INT? That seems weird. Maybe the same as Caramon.
Tanis & Caramon with Int 12 is fine. D&D Int is generally how quickly you pick up and learn new things. Wisdom though, is how you use that knowledge. So I think the two of them having on a Int of 12 is fine - Caramon’s Wis is 10, while Tanis’s is 13. Both can learn things fairly quickly, but Tanis has better common sense and can “put two and two together” far quicker and more often than Caramon will, making him seem brighter and less apt to be fooled by Raist’s manipulations.

Flint’s 7 Int is weird though, and not what I expect. Perhaps he is simply an old codger who doesn’t like to learn new tricks (i.e., stubborn and set in his ways), shunning knowledge in favor of wisdom (his Wis is 13).

Also, Raistlin’s Con is a 10, despite most people probably thinking it’s an 8 or a 6. He’s just afflicted with a Condition he can’t get rid of.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Isn't the reason why the various companions stats are what they are, because they're based on actual characters and that's what the players rolled? I thought that was the case, but could be wrong.

Mercurius

Legend
Tanis & Caramon with Int 12 is fine. D&D Int is generally how quickly you pick up and learn new things. Wisdom though, is how you use that knowledge. So I think the two of them having on a Int of 12 is fine - Caramon’s Wis is 10, while Tanis’s is 13. Both can learn things fairly quickly, but Tanis has better common sense and can “put two and two together” far quicker and more often than Caramon will, making him seem brighter and less apt to be fooled by Raist’s manipulations.

Flint’s 7 Int is weird though, and not what I expect. Perhaps he is simply an old codger who doesn’t like to learn new tricks (i.e., stubborn and set in his ways), shunning knowledge in favor of wisdom (his Wis is 13).

Also, Raistlin’s Con is a 10, despite most people probably thinking it’s an 8 or a 6. He’s just afflicted with a Condition he can’t get rid of.
Yeah, I don't like Raistlin's CON being 10. I hear you, but if CON is meant to represent physical fortitude and vitality, his should be lower than average.

jasper

Rotten DM
Regardless of which edition you do it in, certain abilities are locked away until the plot wills it. So perhaps a story curse or Geas which locks the abilities.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
The one that bugged me was Raistlin's 17 INT. He's supposedly able to read books none of the other mages can at a young age, so theoretically he has to be smarter than all of them, ie a freak-of-nature INT 19, since we assume at least some mages have INT 18.

Of course the module character existed before the book character and nobody felt the need to give a random pregen mage an INT 18, but Early Installment Weirdness is a trope for a reason. ;)

Remove ads