Stationery and art supplies

Mercurius

Legend
I'm guessing this experience is a common one in contemporary consumer culture, but I tend to go through cycles of binge purchasing around a specific product type: books within a variety of subjects has been the consistent theme, but also RPGs, watches (which I had to quit due to escalating costs), and with regards to my current cycle and the topic of the thread: stationery and art supplies.

So if you want to geek-out on stationery and art supplies, this thread is for you.

I don't want to innundate the start of this thread with a mega-post, but I feel it necessary to provide context. My recent rash of buying is the result of engaging in a process of deep world-building--including mapping--of the setting of my series of novels. But I've always loved drawing maps: for RPGs, stories, and just for the fun of it. I also draw a bit, although only irregularly since I was a kid.

More specifically, I love felt-tip pens and pencils, both wood and mechanical. Of course all pens and pencils do the trick--that is, facillitate writing and drawing--but some are of higher quality and offer an aesthetic that augments the experience of using them. Right now my favorites are:

PENS:
Favorite: Copic Multiliner SP
series. I've tried most big-brand felt pens, and not only are these the best in quality, they also have replaceable nibs and ink. The aluminum cases are aesthetically pleasing and feel good in the hand, slightly thicker than the popular Microns (which I buy when I need a specific color in a pinch because they're so ubiquitous and of solid quality). The downside is that they aren't cheap: they range from about $10-15 a pop, depending upon where you buy them, although the positive is that once you buy one, nib and ink replacements bring the cost down over time.

Honorable Mention: Microns. I don't know if they are my favorites of the non-Copic SP fineliners, but they are good quality, come in a wide range of colors and sizes, and can be found anywhere (at least in the US).

MECHANICAL PENCILS:
Favorite: Rotring 600 & Rapid Pro.
There's nothing like holding a Rotring. I have the 0.7 for the 600, and a 2mm lead holder Rapid Pro. They're pretty expensive, around $30 on Amazon, although can sometimes be found cheaper (e.g. the 0.5 600 is currently available for $17 on Amazon).

Honorable Mention: Pentel Orenz Nero 0.2. Pretty much as fine as you can go. The lead is flush with the nib, so it is protected. Great example of innovative Japanese design. It isn't my first choice for writing and most drawing, but it is unparalleled for detail work and small writing. Also expensive (around $30).

"Grail Pencil:" Caran d'Ache Ecridor. Can't quite bring myself to spend $130 on a pencil, but I want one of these beauties.

WOOD PENCILS:
Favorite: Blackwing Palomino.
I've tried almost all the fine drawing pencils, but this one stands above the rest. I like the classic Matte (which is probably comprable to a 3B) and 602 (B/HBish) the best. Haven't tried the Pearl, but heard it is more scratchy. The downside, of course, is that they aren't cheap: over $2 a piece in a box of 12, but well worth it.

Honorable Mention: Faber-Castell. My favorite of the standard art pencils, smoother than Derwent and Staedtler imo. I have a complete set, for darker and harder shades beyond the two Blackwing variants, but find myself rarely using them.

I could go on--and also talk about other forms of stationery and art supplies, such as paper, notebooks, erasers, various tools, etc--but will leave it at that for now.

So what about you? Are you a stationery/art-supply fetishist? ;-) What are your favorites?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
This sounds like fun.

Pens.
I like to use fountain pens, they allow for quick writing and help me to draw on the go. I own a few Sheaffer pens that I use with different colors. However I stopped them using them regularly after I shifted to cheaper notebooks - I couldn't keep making custom notebooks- and I began to use gel rollers. I love the Pilot G-2 ones.

Also I love Sakura calligraphic pens and my Pentel penbrush.

Mechanical pencils
Pentel is the way to go. I only regret not getting more Ain stein leads while I had the chance. Now I can't find them anywhere.

Wood Pencils
I'm very fond of Stabilo. They are easier to control -and more affordable- than Derwent and softer than Steadtler.

I always loved the 2mm lead holder pencils that I got introduced to when I learned drafting. I used them all throughout college and for a number of years afterward. However, the ground graphite you get from sharpening the 2mm stick is a real pain in the butt and is what eventually lead me to stop using them for normal stuff. I wouldn't mind getting back in to using them, though.

aco175

Legend
Such a nicer topic than as of late, thank you. Maybe a few pictures of how the pens look on a map or drawing.

I tend to use the basic Bic .05 mechanical and the Pilot Precise V5 extra fine for maps. These are cheap and work for me, plus being left-handed I find that these do not smudge like when I was in grammar school. I would like to be able to make more regional maps with washed and shading, but tend to just make DM focused maps that are a bit dry.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I seriously just buy over and over Dixon Ticonderoga 2 Soft pencils. I really like heir line. They are also the pencil of my youth, so there is nostalgia - and no doubt also why that line and writing physicality feels good to me.
Graph paper I buy whatever, but for some reason I have like 10 different books. (Many I inherited from my kids after their math classes were done).
I used to like 1" binders, but I've been moving a lot of my stuff to Google docs...
Otherwise, I'm not much of a stationary geek.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases