Status Effect Rings

Yardiff

Adventurer
Is there a good place to find 'generic' colored plastic rings that can be used for status/condition effects?

Edit: We're playing a mech rpg called Lancer.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As in, rings to put around minis?

No idea, sorry. We use different-coloured poker chips under the minis, or something similar, but if it's just one or two people or foes we usually just go by memory for who's affected by what.

Ulfgeir

Hero
We decided to use the tamper-proof rings from plastic bottles (like coca cola bottles). They are uniform in size, and have lots of colours. A bit fiddly to remove whole, but can be done by inserting a blunt metal object underneath and using that to slide it off.

Difficulty then would be to remember which colour corresponds to what condition.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We have round plastic bases that the minis slot onto. But more often we just use the plastic rings from milk bottles and the like.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Something like this?

From Amazon:

7115g5hvsbL._AC_SX425_.jpg

D&D Acrylic Condition Rings 72 PCS Status Effect Markers in 18 Conditions & Colors with 3x6 Storage Box Great DM Tool for Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder and RPG Miniatures

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I also used soda bottle safety rings. And it actually was pretty easy to collect them the first time I saw them being used-- it was at the second PAX East. Some DMs were using them as they played 4E and right then and there I wanted a bunch. And fortunately... I had an entire convention full of recycling boxes filled with 20 oz soda bottles in all manner of colors. I acquired probably a half-dozen rings in like five different colors, all absolutely free.

You can achieve the same sort of thing pretty easily by going to your local pizza place that has seating-- they probably have a recycling box for soda bottles as well, and you can spend a bunch of minutes just pulling the rings off all the bottles (you probably want to ask/alert the employees first). I went the Pepsico. route, as they seemed to have the most varied color options of the different companies (and I'm one of those people who want them all to be the same size and weight, so I refused to also use other soda companies or milk rings.)

I don't use them for 5E much anymore (there are fewer conditions out there as often, especially now that "bloodied" is no longer a thing), but I still have my supply if/when I ever need them. And they worked wonderfully.

aco175

Legend
We decided to use the tamper-proof rings from plastic bottles (like coca cola bottles). They are uniform in size, and have lots of colours. A bit fiddly to remove whole, but can be done by inserting a blunt metal object underneath and using that to slide it off.

Difficulty then would be to remember which colour corresponds to what condition.
We do this as well. They are easy to get and are free. I find 5e does not have that many conditions or that we need that many. I still use the red ones for bloodied, but not like 4e bloodied where you are at half HP. I tend to put a red one on when the monster is down to 1-hit killed. It may have 1-10 HP left and I use it to let the players know to only use one of their attacks on it rather than full attack. At lower levels this may mean only 5HP or less.
The other colors are universal like the player may want black for hunter's mark or poison. I like green for poison or charm. There may be only one on the table at a time other than red so it is not a big problem to remember what is going on.
I also make the players remember what they have going on. I figure they can see the table like me and remember that they have something going on.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Something like this?

From Amazon:

7115g5hvsbL._AC_SX425_.jpg

D&D Acrylic Condition Rings 72 PCS Status Effect Markers in 18 Conditions & Colors with 3x6 Storage Box Great DM Tool for Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder and RPG Miniatures
Yes but these are mostly specific to fantasy effects, a few would be useful for the game we're playing.

Playing a mech rpg called Lancer so a lot of the labeled effects wouldnt work well.

May still end up getting these.

Yardiff

Adventurer
The plastic rings off plastic bottles would work but in the current Pandemic conditions handling dozens of bottles might not be a good idea.

Remove ads