• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Steam Punkin'

Memnoch3434

First Post
My girlfriend had an idea for a campaign last night and I am trying to make it mechanically interesting for the players.

Her idea was Carnival Folk in a steampunk setting. In her world the Carnival Folk both represent the lowest caste, and the police force.

Anyway some Ideas I had for the game were the following Characters:

Gypsy- The gypsy would be our spellcaster, and she would cast from a deck of tarot cards. Each time the gypsy casts, she would draw three cards from the deck. Each card represents a spell, "non-inverted" cards are cast at the enemy and "inverted" cards are cast at an ally. As the gypsy gains more experience they have the ability to reserve so many cards per day, to invert so many cards per day and draw more cards at a single time.

Professor/Mechanic - This would be the more steampunk character. To this character is attached some sort of steampunk "engine" or machine of general awesomeness. The Mechanic has different attachments (flame throwers, death rays, missiles, guns etc etc). Each one has different effects, and the Mechanic must make some special skill check to use any particular part. Before each effect is used a standard deck of cards is used, the top card drawn. If it is a spade this is a very bad draw, clubs are bad draws, diamonds are good draws and hearts are very good draws. If you draw a spade you subtract the face value (aces are 14, but the only exception) from the roll before you make it, if you fail the roll the machine doesnt work AND breaks that part. With a club you only subtract the roll with no ill effects for failure, the dimonds add with no great effect for success and the hearts give a crit on a successful roll. As he levels up he draws more than 1 card, or can create a different 52 card deck then the one he has by replacing one card at a time.

Knifethrower/Warforged - We discussed the different kinds of circus freaks there might be, and the bearded lady (a dwarf woman who needs to shave) and strong man (insert orc here) arent terribly exciting. However if warforged are rare, then they ARE quite interesting. We were also thinking about giving the warforged 4 arms. The interesting mechanic for this character is rolling dice onto a sheet of paper. The sheet has a persons body on it, and each turn a d4 is rolled from each corner of the paper. Any dice that land on the body hit successfully. As the character levels up the body is enhanced.

Other ideas (but without mechanics so far)
Tightrope walker and Acrobat - I'd like something rogue and or ninja like for this one
Wild animal Tamer - Uses a whip in combat and has an elephant and or tiger animal companion
Magician - uses illusions, and has no real magic. Is likely to be more on the steampunk end of things

Mostly I am just asking for imput. I am not sure how these things will work out, I hate to limit people to these things in combat but yet again I feel like that's ok because it might force teamwork. Other ideas for the types of freaks you might expect would be cool too. The system we are working on is d20 in nature (because that is all she is confident enough in running).

GhostBear

Explorer
Every carnival has clowns. I don't know about you, but I find clowns to be downright creepy. Perhaps some kind of fear-based power would be appropriate here.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...

Fire eaters, sword-swallowers, contortionists, strongmen and tattooed men spring to mind. Deformities also spring to mind....

I knew I knew of a way to make your NPC both creepier and possibly, just possibly, more effective...if you have lots of feats.

Add these feats:

1) Aberration Feat: Aberration Blood (LoM p178)
2) Aberration Feat: Inhuman Reach [adds +5reach] (LoM p 180)
3) Vile Feat: Willing Deformity (HoH p125)
4) Vile feat: Deformity [Tall] gives your PC the natural reach of a PC one size larger (HoH p 121)

and your NPC Ghoul/Monk will have at least +10' of reach he wouldn't normally have, allowing him to get more AoOs and attack- hopefully paralyzing- more PCs.

Bonus: the extra long arms will evoke memories of Street Fighter's Dhalsim...an Indian martial artist with strechy limbs.

(As I pointed out in that thread, use an OA Shaman instead of a cleric...)

Also, remember that many carnys do double duty.

Last edited:

There is an out of print book for Tarot Magic that might be of use to you.

SADLY it doesn't actually use tarot cards, but uses dice to roll for certain tarot card mechanics. However, it may be easily adaptable for pure tarot materials.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Roleplaying-Supplement-Arcane-Mysteries/dp/0971923876/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340406606&sr=8-1&keywords=tarot+magic+d20"]Amazon.com: Tarot Magic (d20 Fantasy Roleplaying Supplement, Arcane Mysteries) (9780971923874): Andrew Thompson: Books[/ame]

Pathfinder/ paizo.com also has the Harrow deck, which may or may not have more info on card based d20 mechanics.

For that, I'd ask around either here or on their website.

Shiv

Explorer
Some ideas:

A carnival sideshow might include a tent filled with the skeletons or preserved bodies of strange creatures for viewing by the paying public. Preserved bodies might be in "steam-punky" chambers that keep them alive but stunned/dazed. If released, they attack. Skeletal forms might be undead creatures in stasis that can be released to attack.

There might be a master of ceremonies who oversees events in a large tent and travels the show grounds outside of these performances. The master of ceremonies might be the leader of the carnival troupe members or might be the "face" of the carnival, with some other dastardly being controlling him.

The side show might include a "beast boy", maybe a shifter or lycanthrope, who is kept docile by the master of ceremonies or someone else in the carnival. He might seem harmless, but could easily be the toughest of the carnie folk, especially if his regular feedings (living flesh) aren't made regularly.

A tattooed lady might be able to manipulate her tattoos to act out stories on her flesh, with her narrating the stories for small groups of onlookers. These stories might be prophetic or could simply be the stories of things she has seen in the past. She might be able to "peel" the monster tattoos off of her flesh to summon actual monsters.

Memnoch3434

First Post
Update!

Thanks so much for all the feedback! Here is what we came up with (so far).

The Clown - (With a bit of a rodeo clown thrown in) High Ac, rogue(ish) tank. He has an ac bonus from his wisdom and int score. He will have a "sillyness" stat, we haven't fully discussed mechancially how it works but for every serious act done by the clown the stat diminshes. Keeping it high gives a bonus to saves, armor class, etc. It is increased by throwing whipped cream pies and such, and diminished by being too serious. The clown will also have a taunt (sort of like a knight) and sudden strike. The most interesting of all is a barrel mechanic (3 magic growing barrels that can be placed around the battle field, he can enter any one and come out any other). Finally the clown car. He walks into the car by himself and comes out with 4-5 clones for a few rounds. The clown has high Ac but low hp.

The Gypsy - The gypsy casts spells with Tarot cards as I already described but as an added bonus we threw in curses, at will. The curses will start out poorly at first but become stronger as time goes on. If we playtest her and feel like she is underpowered we may add a dervish type bellydancer mechanic.

The Mechanic (borris) - Borris was a smart Orc in a different game I played. Borris' weapon of choice is the wrench. We are thinking about giving him a steampunk leg. He should feel a bit like a wizard.

The Illusionist - A lay on hands healer that uses mechanical illusions as well. We haven't really developed a lot into the character but we do know that we want a Magic 8 ball mechanic, so that every time he tried to do something he needs to ask the 8 ball permission. Think Gaston Leroux's Phantom meets Two Face, with healing!

The knife thrower - we added a fear mechanic to make people more afraid when he narrowly misses vital parts of their anatomy.

The fire-breather sword-swallower- A martial arts master and fire breather. Has a variety of weapons he is good with, whips, swords, axes and bows. He can use his breath weapon for a five foot "line" initally, but when wielding a certain weapon he can change the direction of the flames, with the whip he can choose any squre within his threat range for the fire breath, a sword allows for a 15ft cone, and the axe allows for a 20ft line, and finally the bow simply lights arrows on fire. We will give him access to the fighter feats for weapon specialization and so on and so forth for all weapons he is proficient with at the apropriate levels

The Tatooed man - The tatooed man unlocks his Chakras through piercings, which allow him to do a healing technique that will take quite some time out of combat but is more effective than laying on hands. Basically magic acupuncture. The tattoos magicalness will be a collaboration between the player and the dm, the player draws them and the Dm will give them an idea of what it does. Generic monk stuff as well.

The Lizard man - more like the classic "tank" he will have dr from his unusual skin and high hp. My girlfriend wanted to do something like giving him access to all exotic weapons as well. We also considered giving him a lizard-like deformity such as chamelon skin, or gecko feet or frog's tongue and certainly a tail.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
2 things:

1) it's "tattoo"

2) Lizard men make EXCELLENT sideshow geeks. (As in, the guys who bite the heads off of chickens, eat rocks, etc.)

Remove ads