Steampunk Media for Teens?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
My teen's D&D club is switching campaigns and the new one is Victorian England (so I'm guessing Steampunk). He has no experience with the genre.

Do any of you have a favorite video series or movie (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+) appropriate for a high schooler? Or favorite game supplement with that generic flavor? Or graphic novel or fun novel series?

aco175

Legend
My first thoughts was the old(er) Hellboy with the mechanical Nazi. Not so much Wild, Wild, West with the mechanical Confederate General.
1696532312139.png
1696532420744.png

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’d consider RDJ’s Sherlock Holmes to be Steampunk, its Victorian, Enola Holmes too
Netflix also has Pan (though its WW1 era)
Nezha Reborn (Dieselpunk but the promo material calls it Steampunk).
Fullmetal Alchemist
Disneys Treasure Planet (Treasure Island in space).
Mortal Engines fits too

Mizayaki has stuff on Netflix including Castle in the Sky and Howls Moving Castle

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Don't forget about "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "The Rocketeer" (though that might be closer to Dieselpunk), "Howl's Moving Castle", almost literally any adaptation of a novel by Jules Verne, "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", stuff by HG Wells like "The Time Machine" or "The First Men in the Moon" that has been adapted to film. I'd add "Carnival Row" and "Arcane", but those might scale a bit mature.

The "Leviathan" book trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. A re-imagining of WWI with steam mechs and monsters from the point of view of a teenager.

Steamboy. An anime movie.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Foglios’ Girl Genius comic is probably one of the more accessible steampunk series out there, especially with a tight time window. At some point, they went from physical copies to webcomic, found here:

You might also check out the materials for RPGs like Space:1889, Etherscope, and Iron Kingdoms.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Movies & Shows. Steamboy. Stardust. Hugo. City of Ember. Treasure Planet. Atlantis: Lost Empire. Baron Munchausen. Sleepy Hollow. Golden Compass. Castle in the Sky. Howl’s Moving Castle. Fullmetal Alchemist. The Nevers (was on HBO but pulled, might show up somewhere else).

Comics. Monstress. Soulless. Case Study of Vanitas. Amazing Screw-On Head. Girl Genius.

Librarians are always a good resource.

Zardnaar

Legend
My hometown has been pushing steampunk theme in its Victorian district.

Woukd you tube video links help or the want fiction only?

Going up there by train tomorrow.

Remove ads