D&D 5E Sticking with D&D?

I wonder how many people plan to stick with D&D. Seems like it would be an unpopular thing to say on these boards right now. I haven’t made any final decisions but probably will or as I have said I may just take a hiatus from gaming for a while. I am was very mad at WoTC but find that has really turned into apathy at this point. I also find myself moving on from creators I follow as they switch to other systems or because I cannot handle their general level of rage (DMDave).

J-H

Hero
I have two campaigns ready to go (one short, one 1-20) so no need to make any decisions for the next 2 years.

Everyone I play with knows 5e. Most have no experience with other systems.

I haven't spent much money with WOTC in a while because I wasn't happy with the direction they've gone in game design. I was planning to subscribe to DNDB so I could make a bunch of NPCs that level with the party for one campaign, but that campaign hasn't started and we'll see. If they force-adapt everything to 5.5 and force the Tasha's racial options as default, DNDB will be much less useful to me.

collin

Explorer
My group has enough D&D 5e and earlier material that if we choose, we can ignore any new rulebooks or bells & whistles for a new version. We also have history with Pathfinder and other systems, so we may choose to go that route. I do not see us adopting 1D&D, and if we did, it would be a few years before we made the switch.

Aurel Guthrie

They/Them
It doesn't sound like my friends are planning to switch to another system, and I'm not going to try to convince them since, apart from one other player, interest isn't there. I'm going to keep playing 5e and when we finish our current campaign I'll gauge interest again and see if something comes out of it.

I am currently planning on sticking with D&D. Unless the players all feel otherwise (and so far, I'm not getting the feeling that they do). When the new OGL actually is released and everything is confirmed or not, that might change things, but I'll decide after that.

Bagpuss

Legend
D&D is not just a game for me its a passion since the 80's so i will keep playing D&D whatever happen with the OGL

Right but I mean I play DnD but I've not given WotC any money in ages, as I don't need much beyond the PHB, DMG and a MM. I'll continue to play DnD (among other games), but I don't need to spend a penny on OneDnD. I imagine there are lots of groups still playing earlier version as well.

That seems to be what matters to WotC.

hojulation

Explorer
I will finish the Saltmarsh campaign I'm running and will certainly revisit 5E, but my players have already expressed interest in different systems/IP's so I'm pretty confident we will move on to something else when it's over. I don't plan to purchase anything else from WotC in the near future, but may again in the long-term, if I like the direction they're taking things. I love D&D, it was my entry into the wide world of TTRPG's and I'll always be grateful, but the breadth of different mechanics/systems that exist today is really intriguing to me.

Remove ads