D&D 5E Still no information on WotC's digital plans

Chocolategravy

First Post
No. Not even a tiny population will pirate the book. Most people do not act that way.

A lot do, however it has had little impact on whether or not they buy the book.

Now that more and more people can bring that PDF to the table with a tablet things might change a little. It would be nice if WotC would get in front of it and just sell a PDF, preferably an easy-to-use one that doesn't have all that page-bloating art in it.

Bumamgar

First Post
I've already purchased / pre-ordered the PHB.

I have absolutely no problem with obtaining an electronic copy by whatever means is convenient for me (scanning in my physical copy, downloading it, etc) since I've already paid for a copy and time/space shifting for personal use is legal. I'm not going to be stopped from having a copy on my ebook reader just because WotC doesn't provide an 'officially approved' way to do that.

Paraxis

Explorer
I will have a pdf version of the PHB by the end of August, now if WoTC wants my money for it I will gladly give it to them for a good high quality version with hyper links and good book marks. If they don't provide an official pdf, there will be a no cost option. Taking my laptop places instead of a bunch of gaming books is to convenient to not have pdf copies of books.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Taking my laptop places instead of a bunch of gaming books is to convenient to not have pdf copies of books.

While understandable, in general, it is important to point out that the PHB is one, and only one, book. It does not qualify as a bunch. In August, there is no other 5e book to cart around. Heck, even by November, there will only be the standard three books. Not exactly a back-breaker there. This is a good argument for *eventually* getting PDF copies, but not much of a justification for *immediate* need.

Last edited:

I've already purchased / pre-ordered the PHB.

I have absolutely no problem with obtaining an electronic copy by whatever means is convenient for me (scanning in my physical copy, downloading it, etc) since I've already paid for a copy and time/space shifting for personal use is legal. I'm not going to be stopped from having a copy on my ebook reader just because WotC doesn't provide an 'officially approved' way to do that.

Exactly. I have already photocopied all the monster stats and maps in the starter set adventure for personal use. It would seem the layout and table usability of adventures is a lost art.

Remember when most maps were on the inside cover of a module and stats were right there in the section where you needed them? Designed for actual use! What a concept.

kmdietri

Explorer
I will have a pdf version of the PHB by the end of August, now if WoTC wants my money for it I will gladly give it to them for a good high quality version with hyper links and good book marks. If they don't provide an official pdf, there will be a no cost option. Taking my laptop places instead of a bunch of gaming books is to convenient to not have pdf copies of books.

This.

I'd much rather have a high quality one I pay for of course. And I do not want paper copies, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Talysian

Explorer

Seconded

Talysian

Explorer
While understandable, in general, it is important to point out that the PHB is one, and only one, book. It does not qualify as a bunch. In August, there is no other 5e book to cart around. Heck, even by November, there will only be the standard three books. Not exactly a back-breaker there. This is a good argument for *eventually* getting PDF copies, but not much of a justification for *immediate* need.

Actually I game over a Virtual Table top, I have to have a copy of the book I can copy and paste from. I would prefer to buy one, and will when they release it, but I will do what is needed to do that ahead of time.

Remove ads