Storage, Care and Feeding of your Combat mat (tm)

haiiro

First Post
Archade said:
If you are using overhead markers, avoid using the red one, especially if you are going to leave something drawn on the mat for more than an hour. It stains the mat horribly.

I have had this problem as well -- and the same thing goes for orange markers, in my experience. My old battlemat had red and orange ghosts on it for good after I left those colors on it for a day or two (I generally drew dungeon areas once, and left them there between sessions).

For storage, I think a drafting/blueprint tube (already mentioned by Cthulhu's Librarian) should do the trick nicely. Just bring the mat to the store and try it out. Most of them have a carrying strap, which is a nice touch for this sort of thing.

guedo79

Explorer
haiiro said:

I have had this problem as well -- and the same thing goes for orange markers

Oooo, orange. I've only been able to find black, blue, green and red. Where did you find orange? any other colors?

guedo79 said:

Oooo, orange. I've only been able to find black, blue, green and red. Where did you find orange? any other colors?

Look for other colors at a college bookstore, teachers supply store, art supply store, scientific supply store, or architecture/drafting store. Staples & Office Depot pretty much only carry the 4 standard colors, but I know that others exist, as I had several professors in college who used to have lots of colors. Granted, that was almost 10 years ago, but if they existed a one time, someone probably still makes them.

Glyfair

Explorer
I've had a Chessex megamat since the early 80's. While it does have marker stains, most of them are from the early days of its career. I haven't had any problems with marker stains for years (well, except the time I wrote on it in permanent overhead projector markers - I had no idea such a thing existed and wasn't watching for it). The Vis-a-Vis markers I use have been left on there for weeks (including the red) & I've had no problem removing it.

I'm amazed at the discussion of protection. Mines been everywhere rolled up and occasionally bound with rubber bands. I've used it as a tablecloth for impromptu meals while gaming, a pillow and even a blanket. It's still in excellent shape & I still use it for gaming.

Of course, I can't speak for the Crystal Caste models. The one I've used doesn't seem to hold the markers as well (it seems to bead up a lot). So, it's obviously made with different materials and might not hold up as well.

Glyfair of Glamis

sircaren

Explorer
Probably won't help you too much, but I put mine under a piece of plexiglass on my *ahem* --expensive piece of particle board with legs-- table. ;)

It should last me a good long time. :D

haiiro

First Post
guedo79 said:

Not a clue, unfortunately. I just bought the cheapest pack that came with multiple colors -- it had black, blue, green, red, orange and brown, if memory serves -- and kept those same markers until I stopped using the mat.

Sorry. :eek:

for markers I use Staedtler, been using them for 10 years or so they work great again, beware the red a little but not to much problem with it. As for other colors, my 8 piece set has brown, purple, red, orange, green, yellow, black and blue. These are wet erase markers. Make sure you get the ones that are non-permanent. I the Chessex website has a line to them as well.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Unfortunately mine fell apart many years ago, but I had the perfect storage method. A friend of mine had gotten a tube full of red vines for Christmas. Not being a fan of Red Vines, he gave the tube to me and I shared it with my gaming group until they had all been eaten. At that point I rolled up my battlemat, put the caps from the tube of red vines on, and stored it that way for many years.

Mmm, red vines. I feel the need to run to my local convenience store now.

PatrickLawinger

First Post
As far as cleaning mats goes, I have found that baby diaper wipes work wonderfully. They have enough gentle detergent to get the marker off without fading any printed lines.

Pigments from the colored overhead markers are more likely to stain than the black (don't ask me why), but anything can stain if it is left on a long time.

Just make sure you clean the mat when you are done with it. If you need the map again next gaming session, clean the mat and re-draw it next time.

Patrick

Remove ads