D&D 5E Storm King's...CHULT!

Yenrak

Explorer
The party I've been DMing through Storm King's Thunder is becoming very obsessed with the Ring of Winter. They really want to go in search of it.

SPOILER ALERT.

There is a quest where the party can go search out Artus Cimber in Waterdeep but it's a red herring/dead end. But I've been thinking: what if it isn't? Why not let the party learn that Cimber has gone to Chult? This way I could incorporate a lot of Tomb of Annihilation content (although not the plot) into STK. Sounds fun to me. If the party keeps pushing for the Ring of Winter, this could be a fun exercise.

The party I've been DMing through Storm King's Thunder is becoming very obsessed with the Ring of Winter. They really want to go in search of it.

SPOILER ALERT.

There is a quest where the party can go search out Artus Cimber in Waterdeep but it's a red herring/dead end. But I've been thinking: what if it isn't? Why not let the party learn that Cimber has gone to Chult? This way I could incorporate a lot of Tomb of Annihilation content (although not the plot) into STK. Sounds fun to me. If the party keeps pushing for the Ring of Winter, this could be a fun exercise.
As DM your essentially the god of your world. So do whatever you feel like.
As there is tie in with Artus Cimber in ToA that does make perfect sense.

Yenrak

Explorer
Thanks. It wasn't something I had been planning. I've set most of my campaign so far between Luskan and Icewind Dale. But I like the idea of letting the players decide which leads to chase. And maybe after all this time in the cold north, heading down to the the jungles would be a good change of pace.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Haha, having played through ToA, it could also make them really regret their greed that leads them to peruse the Ring of Winter.

ToA is crazy... plus the Ring itself is not for the faint of heart. Or it didn’t used to be, not sure if they toned it down for 5e or not.

Sounds like a wild ride. That’s for sure!

Yenrak

Explorer
I'm thinking of a lot of cool things to throw at them.

• Investigation in Waterdeep to discover where Artus Cimber might be.
  • Journey to Chult that includes battling pirates/slavers/etc.
  • Maybe they'll be enslaved!
  • Investigation in Chult to find Artus Cimber.
  • The giants are there, searching for Artus. Fight Frost Giants in the Jungle!
  • Artus will not leave until he finds Mezro. Mezro won't return till Ras Nisi is dead. Time to hunt Ras Nisi!
  • So we've got to find Omu and the the Fane!
  • Ras was allied with Acerak. But may not be that important because now Mezro can return.

Not sure where I'll go after that. I would like to bring it back to Storm King's Thunder. Maybe the characters wind up with the Ring of Winter (Artus gives it up to protect the love of his life? Artus is killed by Frost Giants shortly after Mezro returns--super tragic version?) and decide they have to bring down the Frost Giants to end the threat. But how to find their headquarters?

And then we're back to STK plot.

Yenrak

Explorer
So this will definitely get weird.

1. I'm thinking the characters have to travel to Mezro in its demiplane to bring it back. But Acerak is already there for some reason.
  2. I dunno: maybe this is Die, Venca, Die! all over again. But with Acerak.
  3. So then we get to finish ToA.
  4. Going to have to figure out how to level down ToA or level up SKT so that I can make this work.

Yenrak

Explorer
We've been at this for quite some time. There were lots of the usual pandemic-related delays and real-life complications that prevented us from playing as often as we would have liked. But we're still going so I thought I'd give an update here.

1) The party learned that Artus Cimber was last known to be in Waterdeep. Trek from Icewind Dale to Luskan and sailed to Waterdeep.
2) We did a version of the Alexandrian Remix of Dragon Heist. It was lots of fun. The party is rich. I ended it on a super dark note.
The Cassalanters slaughter most of the nobility of Waterdeep and use the stone of Golor to make everyone forget it happened.
3) Learn that Cimber sailed to Port Nyanzaru! Follow him.
4) Discovering lots of Yuan-Ti infiltration in PN. The Flaming Fists are led by a disguised Yuan-Ti. Track Cimber through the jungle, following his trail as he went from place to place seeking to discover the true fate of Mezro. They just discovered that he left Camp Vengeance for Omu. So it's off to Omu.
5) As I explained in my post from a couple of years ago, Cimber went to Omu seeking to slay Ras Nsi in order to bring back Mezro. Instead, he's been captured.
6) Right now the party is headed to Omu to search for Cimber.

Lots of great ideas on your list.

If you are looking for more resources on Mezro and Chult, Rich Lescouflair and Will Doyle have a terrific book up on the AL, Lost City of Mezro. Artus Cimber and Nsi (pre transformation) are covered in some of the older fiction, if you want to get a fuller sense of their motivations. If you are looking to pull in other parts of Realms lore, the Cult of Frost could resurface if they think the player characters have found a way to get to the Ring. If you play a gods-involved version of the Realms, both Cyric and Kelemvor were both involved in hunting for the Ring while still humans, so they might be lured or dragged into the story, and Cimber is a worshiper of Oghma. (The stories about Cimber worshiping Auril are not true; Auril wanted the world to believe that, but she was lying and was actively furthering the deception.)

Remove ads