D&D 5E Str or Dex for Twilight Cleric

DarkMoon250

Explorer
Not sure which would be better. Str helps me out with heavy armor and divine striking martial weapons, but Dex gives me more saves and I can just exchange divine strike for blessed strike.

Having a lot of trouble settling. Would appreciate some advice.

(Also while I'm asking, is there any good use for Mislead for a Cleric)

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I think it primarily comes down to the question "do you want to be a front line melee character or stay back and play at range?" Strength will let you hold your own in melee with heavy armor and will let you better support your fellow front liners. Dex is better suited for staying in the back with a crossbow or cantrips and giving support where it is needed.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
As for the Mislead spell I think like many illusion spells the effectiveness will depend heavily on player creativity and how much the DM is willing to have creatures react to your illusions.

Since it makes you invisible and provides an illusion the use that immediately jumps out at me is to use the double as a distraction as you sneak to somewhere. Having the double taunt some guards and run away to have them give chase while you get into what they were guarding. Now like I said before this heavily depends on your DM. Some may be willing to play along but others might think that the guard wouldn't give chase and instead sound the alarm.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Cantrips: with the Twilight domain, you don't get the cantrip damage bonus at levbel 8; that's an other reason to go melee.

Mislead is also good for negotiating with Dragons or other big bads.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not sure which would be better. Str helps me out with heavy armor and divine striking martial weapons, but Dex gives me more saves and I can just exchange divine strike for blessed strike.

Having a lot of trouble settling. Would appreciate some advice.

(Also while I'm asking, is there any good use for Mislead for a Cleric)
It's kinda a question of party composition. Do you have other front liners in the party? If yes, go Dex. If the party needs more front liners, then go Str.

DarkMoon250

Explorer
There's also the factor of Twilight Shroud and shields playing into my final decision. Full plate armor plus shield plus Shroud equals 22 AC, which as far as I can tell, seems like a pretty sweet deal. But, I did kind of imagine this particular character as more of a mystic cleric-archetype with some robes and an amulet, and I think a shield and weapon might get in the way of manipulating the amulet, and I don't know if heavy armor plus robes is very fashionable :p

If I do go dexterity, I'm also a bit worried about accidentally making a Trickery Cleric 2.0

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
The party consists of a Gunslinger, Ancestral Barbarian, Spore Druid, Dragon Sorcerer, Open Sea Paladin, Old One Warlock, Swashbuckler Rogue... and me.
In this party I would probably go strength. You have two melee tanks with the barbarian and the paladin but with a party of 8 PCs combat encounters are likely to be big so an off tank cleric will help hold the line. The ancestral barbarian will certainly be happy to have an additional melee target for enemies to go after to increase the chances of the ancestral guardian's damage reduction abilities getting used. The swashbuckler rogue can get sneak attack on isolated targets on their own but in practice rogues won't ever complain about having an extra melee character standing next to targets.

Zardnaar

Legend
Neither go wisdom with 14 dex.

Use medium armor and pick up shillelagh via feat.

Failing that use a rapier and make do with 14 dex.

That's with default array.

If you've got 16 16, 14 or better as best 3 stats strength based can work.

If it's 18 14 14 go dex (14) based or wisdom based.

Remove ads