• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strange New Worlds trailer

Well, we wouldn't expect the Enterprise to be his first command. Non-cannon (meaning, in novels and comics), he commanded the USS Aloia (in drydock at the time), USS Oxford (NCC-751) and the USS Lydia Sutherland (registry unspecified) before the Enterprise.
I thought he took over the Farragut at some point? Or did he just serve there and I am conflating his service record with Picard who took over the Stargazer at some point?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I thought he took over the Farragut at some point? Or did he just serve there and I am conflating his service record with Picard who took over the Stargazer at some point?

I believe Picard took over on the Stargazer when the captain was killed, and was subsequently promoted to captain and officially given command of the ship, which was his for 20+ years.

Kirk was on the Farragut when it was attacked by a non-corporeal creature, and the captain and 200 crew were killed. I don't recall if Kirk had to take command at that point, but if he did, it was only to limp home.

MarkB

Legend
Kirk was on the Farragut when it was attacked by a non-corporeal creature, and the captain and 200 crew were killed. I don't recall if Kirk had to take command at that point, but if he did, it was only to limp home.
Probably not. Kirk blamed himself for the incident, but was exonerated by the testimony of the ship's XO, so there was at least one more command officer still aboard even after the incident.

Probably not. Kirk blamed himself for the incident, but was exonerated by the testimony of the ship's XO, so there was at least one more command officer still aboard even after the incident.
Would have have been security chief at that point? I seem to recall reading somewhere that he transferred from security to command.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Would have have been security chief at that point?

Kirk was a phaser gun crew member at the time, probably not even on the bridge.

In TOS, despite how they sometimes depict it, phasers were not actually fired from the bridge - bridge crew would signal to the phaser gun crew, who would actually fire the weapons, rather like 20th century battleships.

By the way, before I spout about Trek history or continuity, I've been checking my memory against Memory Alpha, which can be an awesome resource for folks who are curious.

It certainly is, but sometimes I like to rely on my own brain. (read: Sometimes I am too lazy to do my own research :) )

The Strange New World character teasers have been pretty nice, by the way (we'll see if I am allowed to post that many videos in one post)

NEW TRAILER PROMO "LA'AN" Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 1 | PREMIERE MAY 5 TH (Clip -Teaser)

Remove ads