• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stuff That is Other Stuff...

Voadam

Legend
My viking wizard used carved rune sticks as his spellbook in 2e. When he learned from a wu jen he got meditation scrolls with calligraphy and art for the spells he learned from him. Later I picked up a standard spellbook a minotaur wizard had made, it was written entirely on elf skin.

I used an aboleth mage in 3.5 as a monster, the recovered spellbook was sort of a barnacle/crystal kind of thing. Touching it allowed a psychic connection to the spells it held imprinted.

In a Ravenloft game I ran one of the pcs was a dark sun gladiator, the only PC from Athas. When he died none of the PCs recognized the funny looking shriveled old fruit he carried as the potion it was and they left it with his body.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A dwarf could conceivably have a pouch (or necklace, or strand) of stones, each representing a distinct spell, and etched with runes that are filled in with silver. Each stone would be of high quality- free of inclusions if that is the ideal (for stones like diamond, tourmaline, or even optical-grade quartz), or with inclusions if that is what is desired (emerald, amber, rutilated quartz).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads