• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stupid question

What it will block is Force effects and Ghost Touch items.

So anyone with Mage Armor up, or wearing Bracers of Armor (which uses the same spell) will have a problem. The wall doesn't affect the Material plane, the Force effects and Ghost touch items affect things on the Ethereal, where the wall is.

Ghost touch items don't affect ethereal things, only incorporeal ones. Force effects (when originating from the material plane) extend into the ethereal, as well as affecting incorporeal creatures.

So... The wizard with mage armor up would bump into the ethereal wall, but the fighter wearing a ghost touch sword would not.

Ashtagon

Adventurer
I understand what you're saying and while it seems hokey I haven't seen anything to disprove it being ok.

I only mentioned golems because they are unaffected by spells yet are affected by spell effects, so I was analogizing that while spells don't cross between planes, there is no reason that spell effects can't.

Unless golems have some ability to hit or be hit by ethereal objects, they won't notice the ethereal wall of stone.

kitcik

Adventurer
I only mentioned golems because they are unaffected by spells yet are affected by spell effects, so I was analogizing that while spells don't cross between planes, there is no reason that spell effects can't.

Unless golems have some ability to hit or be hit by ethereal objects, they won't notice the ethereal wall of stone.

Let me break this down into two paragraphs so maybe you can follow it.

1) I only mentioned golems because they are unaffected by spells yet are affected by spell effects.

2) I was analogizing that while spells don't cross between planes, there is no reason that spell effects can't.

This has nothing to do with whether a golem would be affected by an ethereal stone wall. It is an analogy:

A comparison of two different things that are alike in some way

Remove ads