D&D General Styles of Roleplaying and Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
My sense is that the players' feeling about "what fits" for the character is mostly an aesthetic rather than a knowledge-based response. Part of the point of a system like Steel is to disrupt that particular sort of aesthetic judgement.
@pemerton, would you mind if I rephrased this a bit?

If I'm understanding what you're saying here, the point of mental mechanics isn't to tell someone how their character feels. The point of mental mechanics is to force the player outside of their comfort zone. If I always decide what my character thinks and feels, then there is never a point where there is any loss of control. There is no surprise. There is no discovery and at no point am I required or even encouraged to explore any sort of impact upon my character.

Or, to put it another way. How often has anyone, outside of having mechanics which necessitate it like Sanity in Cthulhu, played their character as being losing control? Spiraling ever downwards? IME, every D&D character does nothing but have a string of successes and then retires. Even setbacks are only temporary and nothing is ever impactful.

Lacking these kinds of mechanics, as you said @pemerton, all these points are simply narration. My character loves that character. Ok, great. You act like you're in love. Only, not really, because, well, there's nothing there that actually indicates that in the game. You love that character because, you, the player decided that your character loves that character. But, that's pretty rarely how love works. Or any strong emotion really.

I mean, people were shocked that fear would make a parent not rush to save their child from a dragon. I really hate to break it to you, but, that happens all the time in the real world. Frozen in fear is a real thing. Being totally in control, while so afraid of something that it actually has a game effect, is just bizarre really.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
@pemerton, would you mind if I rephrased this a bit?

If I'm understanding what you're saying here, the point of mental mechanics isn't to tell someone how their character feels. The point of mental mechanics is to force the player outside of their comfort zone. If I always decide what my character thinks and feels, then there is never a point where there is any loss of control. There is no surprise. There is no discovery and at no point am I required or even encouraged to explore any sort of impact upon my character.

Or, to put it another way. How often has anyone, outside of having mechanics which necessitate it like Sanity in Cthulhu, played their character as being losing control? Spiraling ever downwards? IME, every D&D character does nothing but have a string of successes and then retires. Even setbacks are only temporary and nothing is ever impactful.

Lacking these kinds of mechanics, as you said @pemerton, all these points are simply narration. My character loves that character. Ok, great. You act like you're in love. Only, not really, because, well, there's nothing there that actually indicates that in the game. You love that character because, you, the player decided that your character loves that character. But, that's pretty rarely how love works. Or any strong emotion really.

I mean, people were shocked that fear would make a parent not rush to save their child from a dragon. I really hate to break it to you, but, that happens all the time in the real world. Frozen in fear is a real thing. Being totally in control, while so afraid of something that it actually has a game effect, is just bizarre really.
You don't need to go full CoC sanity to do it. Take faye style compels and the wolverine example someone brought up earlier. Logan wants to channel his pain into rage as an aspect (maybe his trouble aspect even), has got a chip on his shoulder and you know... except the group is talking about sneaking in to quietly destroy the sentinel manufacturing plant with a virus & the gm is waving a fstevpoint token while asking "would a man who wants to channel his pain onto rage really be ok with this plan?"... alternately the gm could even hold up the fate point & mention that chip on his shoulder whole talking about how good it would feel to tear his claws through the metal of the machinery while sneaking in. In both cases Logan csn expend a fate point to say no I'm going to be cool & controlled or yes & take the fate point to be awesome personally or spend declaring something that makes things awesome.
Edit:autocorrect #$/**&##!

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
I mean if we were playing Fate, the character could potentially invoke their character's aspect "My children are my world," spend a Fate point, and then overcome the fear that is afflicting them. It would be a dramatic moment highlighted by the engaging of the mechanics. Or if we were playing Cortex, then the PC may be able to also draw on their Relationship die with their child when assembling a pool, spend a PP for some extra bonus, and then also go all out in saving their child. There is game engagement of the characters.

Oofta

Legend
If it's okay, can I rephrase that implication from "never" to "nowhere near often enough"? Sure, you can point to where it has happened, but, like your example of using dice to determine mental processes, it's likely pretty rare. Which, frankly, is a lost opportunity to real delve into the persona of the character. The number of times a character "falters" without any sort of mechanics like this is likely somewhere between zero and once in a campaign.

Now, think about it this way. Those moments, when the PC faltered, were really stand out moments no? These were events in the game that really stick out in your mind. So, why not have mechanics which bring those moments forward in the game more often?
Because if there are mechanics for it, it would lessen the impact, potentially to nothing.

I get why some people want it. But for me, it's twofold. First, I don't want to run a "gritty" campaign (if that's even the correct description). My games have a fair amount of drama but it's still primarily just supposed to be fun. What makes a game fun and rewarding is going to vary.

@Aldarc, I agree that the game doesn't care. That doesn't mean that the players and the DM can't care. Some people see growth, some don't. Sometimes I see growth and change in my PCs, sometimes I don't. It also doesn't mean that for me that a game system is going to make me "feel" anything.

Ultimately the game telling me something wouldn't feel organic or "real". There's only so much a game, movie or novel can do for that.

But there's not really much more to say. If it works for you, great. I don't think either style is better or worse, I don't think a game can make me feel something I'm not going to and I think a lot of people just don't care. If it matters, if it's the type of campaign where it makes sense, reactions that I come up with will have more impact than ones determined by a game rule.

But I'm with @Bill Zebub. I think I'm done here. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
The 5e approach you described sounds rather strange to me, as it implies that what a character experiences when a dragon imposes the Frightened condition on them isn't fear at all, but some other (perhaps not even emotional) state.
I agree--that's basically what I was trying to say. Fear invoked by dragons (or magically, via the Fear spell) is different enough from ordinary fear that it doesn't impinge on my preference for reactions to ordinary fear to be left up to the player to decide for their character.

Reframed in terms of my original point in this thread: a character's reaction to ordinary fear is character-defining, and I prefer for defining the character to be left up to the player, rather than game mechanics. Explicit monster abilities, spells, etc., in 5e that produce the Frightened condition are different enough from ordinary fear that I don't consider a character's reaction to those effects to be character-defining, and thus they don't run afoul of my preferences.

It's similar to how the ability to resist ordinary temptation is character-defining, whereas the ability to resist a Suggestion spell is not (in my opinion, anyway).

To clarify, I entirely agree that being frozen in fear happens all the time in the real world. However, that's outside the range of fear that one person can typically influence in another, particularly without knowing the person, or saying anything to them, or doing anything scary. Combined with the fact that dragon fear in 5e doesn't make someone frozen in fear (a Frigthened character can still act however they want, except that they can't approach the dragon), and its fleeting nature (it lasts no more than a minute), and I think there is good reason to classify dragon fear as something other than acute normal fear.

I also dispute your suggestion that a character frozen in fear in DnD 5e can still act. The lack of any mechanical restriction from ordinary fear means the player is, indeed, unconstrained in their action declarations for their character. But if the player decides that their character is so afraid that they don't act, then the character indeed can't act.

If it's okay, can I rephrase that implication from "never" to "nowhere near often enough"? Sure, you can point to where it has happened, but, like your example of using dice to determine mental processes, it's likely pretty rare. Which, frankly, is a lost opportunity to real delve into the persona of the character. The number of times a character "falters" without any sort of mechanics like this is likely somewhere between zero and once in a campaign.

Now, think about it this way. Those moments, when the PC faltered, were really stand out moments no? These were events in the game that really stick out in your mind. So, why not have mechanics which bring those moments forward in the game more often?
Personally, I wouldn't find such moments nearly as meaningful if they were the consequence of game mechanics rather than the decision of the player. It's similar to how I'd consider brilliant tactics on the part of the player meaningful in a way that wouldn't apply to (e.g.) a wildly successful Tactics roll in the In Nomine system (where which side in a combat has better positioning can be abstracted by a single die roll), even if both the player's plan and the successful Tactics roll led to the same level of tactical advantage.

Also, I find such player-initiated faltering moments come up frequently at tables where fuzzy lines between friends and foe are common, regardless of the system being run. It's one of the reasons my D&D 5e combats last unusually long, as players skip their own actions or spend them on characterization rather than using them to contribute to the fight. I've occasionally had so much faltering on both sides that the fight has effectively stopped mid-combat and dialogue has started.

A game in which players get to choose how their PCs respond to these things is not one in which the game has something to say about what sorts of events and/or actions are dreadful and weighty.
One of my recurring issues with D&D, and I will be upfront with it, is that the game doesn't fundamentally care who my character is nor does it respect the roleplaying of that character as anything other than the bare minimum performatory function, like being a warm butt in a chair. The rest is entirely opt-in. My character and their characterization is largely irrelevant to the game and how it functions. It can and will often ignore my character and their characterization at the leisure of the GM or adventure. There is little to nothing about the game that actually engages my character and who they are. Nothing fundamentally challenges my conception of the character in any way. The game doesn't care anything about who Tom the Fighter is other than whether they complete the Tomb of Annihilation. Nor does it care why they are doing it. Who they are afterwards? Meh. Who cares? The same is not true for other games. Entering the Tomb of Annihilation in a game like Burning Wheel or Torchbearer may utterly break Tom the Fighter.
These comments about what the game has to say or what the game cares about suggest to me that there may be a deeper philosophical difference at play in terms of how we approach RPGs. From my perspective, my group has our own "game". Our choice of system is simply a question of what ruleset would be most helpful for running our game. Our games deeply care about who the characters are, and we deeply respect roleplaying, regardless of which system we happen to be using. Accordingly, a system designed to make our game care about the characters isn't helpful to us, because our game already does so. And a system designed to make our game care about characters differently than it already does would be actively unhelpful because it would create tension between the mechanics and our game.

If I'm understanding correctly, @pemerton and @Aldarc, you see the choice of system as defining the game you are playing, and thus if the system has nothing to say about who the characters are, then the game doesn't either. That makes perfect sense, and makes it easier to understand where your preferences are coming from. It's just so different from how I approach RPGs at a conceptual level that I can see why it makes understanding each other's preferences (and even just communicating them) so difficult.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Hmm, with a second person bowing out, I think that's a good sign the conversation has run its course, so I'm going to do the same. I'll happily read any responses to my most recent post, but I'm going to refrain from posting again.

Thanks for the discussion! I've learned a lot about different approaches to, and preferences for, RPGs. And by trying to describe them to others I've learned a lot about the reasons behind my own preferences.

pemerton

Legend
Because if there are mechanics for it, it would lessen the impact, potentially to nothing.

<snip>

Ultimately the game telling me something wouldn't feel organic or "real". There's only so much a game, movie or novel can do for that.

<snip>

I don't think a game can make me feel something I'm not going to
For some people, when the band plays the Marseillaise in Casablanca tears well up; for others, that's not so.

Hussar

Legend
Someone upthread and I can't remember who, said something along the lines of we need combat mechanics so the game doesn't devolve into cops and robbers- I shot you... no you didn't. Fair enough. I totally agree with that point.

Where I don't agree though is that somehow that same reasoning doesn't apply to mental aspects of the character. We do not trust players to play out combat without it devolving into stalemates, but, we are supposed to implicitly trust all players that they will play out their characters in a plausible manner? I've met far, far too many players where that is very much not true.

I guess I don't really see much of a difference between, "The monster hits you, you take X damage and possibly Y effect" and "This NPC makes a pretty good point and convinces you that X is true." In both cases, the player has to react to the new reality dictated by the game. Or, to put it another way, the player has no control over how much damage the character takes or whether or not you fail that saving throw vs poison, so, why should the player have absolute control over every mental process of the character?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I guess I don't really see much of a difference between, "The monster hits you, you take X damage and possibly Y effect" and "This NPC makes a pretty good point and convinces you that X is true." In both cases, the player has to react to the new reality dictated by the game. Or, to put it another way, the player has no control over how much damage the character takes or whether or not you fail that saving throw vs poison, so, why should the player have absolute control over every mental process of the character?

You don’t find the process where the NPC says something to the PC, the player says “I don’t trust this jerk…I want to make an insight check” promptly fails the check, then says “ai still don’t trust this jerk” to be satisfying mechanically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads