Subtle Rule Changes

Admiral Caine

First Post
It's a weird decision, though, to make both the headband of inspired wisdom and the phylactery of positive/negative energy channeling use the same slot, as the latter is mostly useful for clerics who probably would rather have their wisdom increased...

I agree with what you're saying.

It is almost as if they're doing a little 'balancing' with the slot redefinitions.

RaZZer99

First Post
Familiars can no longer share spell effects that their masters cast on themselves. I don't understand why this was removed. Was this ripe for abuse? Familiars were borderline useful to begin with and now this change only weakens them more. What's the point of an improved familiar if you can't buff them together with yourself?

frankthedm

First Post
Familiars can no longer share spell effects that their masters cast on themselves. I don't understand why this was removed. Was this ripe for abuse?
Ripe for confusion or someone 'conveniently' forgetting the limitations of the effect.

3.5 Share Spells
At the master’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires.
Also, correct me if i am wrong, but it looks like wizards HAVE to take a familiar or a bonded item. The familiar is actually less of a liability, since the death of the familiar has no cost, just replacing it does. The item potentially eats a item slot and screws the casters spells if it is lost or broken. Bonded Items look cool, but have more of a risk factor.
PFSRD said:
Arcane Bond (Ex or Sp): At 1st level, wizards form a powerful bond with an object or a creature. This bond can take one of two forms: a familiar or a bonded object. Wizards who select a bonded object begin play with one at no cost. Objects that are the subject of an arcane bond must fall into one of the following categories: amulet, ring, staff, wand, or weapon. These objects are always masterwork quality. Weapons acquired at 1st level are not made of any special material. If the object is an amulet or ring, it must be worn to have effect, while staves, wands, and weapons must be wielded. If a wizard attempts to cast a spell without his bonded object worn or in hand, he must make a concentration check or lose the spell. The DC for this check is equal to 20 + the spell's level. If the object is a ring or amulet, it occupies the ring or neck slot accordingly.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I think the problem is the PRD has a condensed text.
Wizard
Druid

I can't link to the familiar and animal companion sections directly, sorry.
Someone who doesn't have the book and only the PRD would think they DID eliminate that portion of share spells. (I do not yet have the book myself, were you quoting from it, frank?)

RaZZer99

First Post
I do have the physical book and the text is the exact same as the PRD. Frank is quoting the 3.5 rules, not PF.

The 3.5 version may be a bit confusing, but I disagree with the wholesale removal of sharing spell effects. If its got confusing limitations, why not just streamline it to say familiars can share any of their master's spell effects if with 5'.

Without sharing spells, does this mean Mirror Image doesn't really work all that well when the familiar is sitting on your shoulder? After all the effect is applied only to you which should be a dead give away as to who is the real wizard.

What about when you have protection from elements? Do you walk unscathed through the fires whilst your poor familiar is burnt to a crisp?

Seems even more confusion and troublesome now.

frankthedm

First Post
The Pathfinder Line area of effect seems to officially use the literal text of 3.5, rather than the more generous reading of the 3.5 PHB example, which seemed to be what wotc was actually using in 3.5 & DDM.

Pathfinder said:
A line-shaped spell shoots away from you in a line in the direction you designate. It starts from any corner of your square and extends to the limit of its range or until it strikes a barrier that blocks line of effect. A line-shaped spell affects all creatures in squares through which the line passes.

Skip Williams addressing this issue for 3.5 said:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040824a
Line: A line's point of origin is one corner of the caster's space. (If the caster's space fills more than one square, you can use the optional rule suggested for cones to select the point of origin.) The line extends from the point of origin in any direction the caster chooses and reaches as far as the spell's range (or until its line of effect is blocked). The rules regarding lines are somewhat muddled; however, a line affects anything in a square that the line passes though or touches. So, if you send a line straight down a gridline, it will affect the squares to either side of the line. Some people like to limit a line's effects to a width of 5 feet. If so, the caster chooses which side of the line gets affected when a line passes between two squares. (Choose a side when you aim the spell, and once you choose, you have to stick with that side.)

Remove ads