Summon Nature's Ally

I've been playing with this series of spells of late and I was wondering what other ways it could be used besides straight combat. I currently only have access to Summon III.

Other than straight combat, I have used/may use Speak with Animals and other language skills to convince summoned creatures to:

Dire Badger to dig tunnels
Salamander/fire elemenentals to burn webs and set fires and provide quick light
Earth elementals to open doors or spy
Dire rats to check for ambush/trap
Crocodiles to assist drowning companions (imagine their panic)

Not as many alternate uses as I would like, but I'll soon have access to Summon IV and I hope to find some new uses there.

Any suggestions of other uses for these summoned creatures?

DoctorB

First Post
If you speak Terran, as the wizard in my game does, you can use a Xorn to help you detect invisible creatures. Their tremorsense detects most things. Your allies still have the miss chance, but at least they know where to attack!

Artoomis

First Post
DoctorB said:
If you speak Terran, as the wizard in my game does, you can use a Xorn to help you detect invisible creatures. Their tremorsense detects most things. Your allies still have the miss chance, but at least they know where to attack!

Yep - I can't think of much better comic relief for the DM than your Druid character telling folks where to swing.

"Swing...... Now!..."

"No, no , to the left..."

"Yipes! Not there you dolt - your OTHER left!..."

"He says he's moving..."

"No - I don't know where - just wait a second, will you?!?..."

"He says he's on your right, now..."

"Your OTHER right, you idiot!..."

Last edited:

Someone has got to post a list of the best allies to summon.

BTW, these animals aren't extraplanar creatures, so does a magic circle against x keep them out?

For instance, if I summon a NG fairy, does a magic circle against good keep it away?

Remove ads