Summon undead question

Someone told me that according to the dmg you can summon the same individual of a creature species with summon monster according to a variant rule. I need to know what page thats on if anyone could help. Thanks.

R_J_K75

Legend
I could not even begin to remember what issue of Dragon Mag it was in but an article I read said yes. It was for 2E maybe somewhere around 1996-1998. The key point was that a PC could chose to summon the same creature each time it used a summon monster spell. Not just the same type but the exact same creature, which would gain in power/levels and use magic items if the player wished to give them some. Sorry I can be more specific but it was so long ago thats about all I remember about the article, maybe someone else recalls more.

Thankyou. My friend was saying something about the dmg (dungeon masters guide) making a similar statement involving same identity creatures but there was a littke less detail than that. This was in 3.0 though. Perhaps its related to why its in the dmg. The trail grows just a little less cold now. I appreciate it. Im hoping this can be applied to summon undeads too.

R_J_K75

Legend
Thankyou. My friend was saying something about the dmg (dungeon masters guide) making a similar statement involving same identity creatures but there was a littke less detail than that. This was in 3.0 though. Perhaps its related to why its in the dmg. The trail grows just a little less cold now. I appreciate it.

No problem. Try a dragon article search online for titles this may narrow it down. It was 2 or 3 pages. Might have been 3E. I cant remember if theres multiple versions of summon monster in 5E or if the monster you summon HD increases as you gain level, but regardless if you cant find any information just make it up.

I prefer to avoid house ruling as much as possible when im dming.
This particular question is for a character im playing though as opposed to a dm'ing related question which is part of the reason i have placed it in character builds and optimization.
I try especially hard to avoid homebrew when it comes to playing in another persons game. Because then im not just homebrewing. Im asking a dm to allow a home brew. I prefer avoiding that.
I just wanted to find the page so that i could show him it and get the go ahead ahead of time.

R_J_K75

Legend
I prefer to avoid house ruling as much as possible when im dming.
This particular question is for a character im playing though as opposed to a dm'ing related question which is part of the reason i have placed it in character builds and optimization.
I try especially hard to avoid homebrew when it comes to playing in another persons game. Because then im not just homebrewing. Im asking a dm to allow a home brew. I prefer avoiding that.
I just wanted to find the page so that i could show him it and get the go ahead ahead of time.

If you think that it will make your game better Id ask your DM. It doesnt seem like its a game breaker and not that difficult to homebrew. I could probably write it up in 5 sentences. If it doesnt work then you just remove it out of the game. Theres always the possibility the creature is killed on its homeplane and the spell fails. Or better yet it resents you for summoning it and summons you from the prime to its plane to show you what its like.

True. But there are plenty of ways to do it that a creature would not resent you for. For instance, teaching it spells if it shares a similar class. Or perhaps you summon a creature that enjous battle. There are a few of those. There is also the possibility of tit for tat ie expecting to be summoned to return the favor. And there are several more options.

R_J_K75

Legend
True. But there are plenty of ways to do it that a creature would not resent you for. For instance, teaching it spells if it shares a similar class. Or perhaps you summon a creature that enjous battle. There are a few of those. There is also the possibility of tit for tat ie expecting to be summoned to return the favor. And there are several more options.

I agree but just mentioned it for irony.

R_J_K75

Legend
Just that PC are always summoning monsters from the planes to the prime, thought it be funny to have something them from the prime to the outer planes.

Remove ads