• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summoning for low level

abri

Mad Scientist
With the new rules introduced in last month dragon, summoning seems again a decent tactics.
Our group has adopted the idea of the limited monster list (you start with 3 monster per summon monster list, and have to research to add other).
So what are your now favored summoned lackeys for SMI-III?
Ps: in case you haven't read those rules, SMI can now summon any outsider (made with any template) of CR inferior to 1, SMII=CR1 and SMII=CR2, elementals counts as CR+1 for these spells.

Aasimar for SMI and bladeling(MM2) for SMII are my new favorites.
So what monsters will you wizard/cleric/sorcerer summon?

darkbard

Legend
here's the quandry as i see it: the rules-as-written make low-level summoning spells extraordinarily lame [sorry, chondu, but your badger is useful for little more than a +2 flanking bonus [might as well cast flare or daze for a similar impact] and it will be separated from you after 6 seconds at first level] but the dragon article is very unbalancing as has been duly noted before [CR is not an equitable method of judging a creature's utility to a party].

what's the solution? i'm not sure, but what i'd love to see is some mechanic that makes summoning more useful, interesting, and varied [like the dragon article tried to do] but without making it unbalanced. is this possible?

Chondu

First Post
sorry, chondu, but your badger is useful for little more than a +2 flanking bonus

Actually, it's not even that useful. Since a badger has a reach of 0 feet, it can't threaten an adjacent opponent and so can't flank. The reason I keep casting it is that it always raises a laugh because of its insane lameness. :D

abri

Mad Scientist
Well, I'll have to disagree.
The main problem with the phb SM is:
1) The duration is too short.
2)Not enough choice.

I really like the new dragons rules (PS:if you use all of them):
a) Many creatures for each SM
b) Each spellcaster only has access to 3 (or more if he researches) type of creature per SM
c) Creature have to be OKed by the DM
d) creatures with real spell-abilities count as CR+1, CR+2 or more.

One thing I really think should be added though, is a change in duration: 3+LV round seems to work fine in the 3 campaign I'm in.
With all these, the SM seems right.
Aasimar for SMI, are nice for L1 spell: basically you get something that is not as powerfull as a L1 fighter but not too far for a few rounds.
To be honnest I still find that SM becomes MUCH more efficient after you are LV3.
Ps: In the campaign I'm a player instead of DM, we use the fuel spell feats from Treasure and lair and that really take care of the duration problem.
:p

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Actually, I love celestial badgers, because a celestial badger saved the party from the clinker for a night on my first session.
Those little buggers can still dig for 6 seconds.

Demiurge out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads