• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SUMMONING question

Khaalis

Adventurer
Ok, since I've been misreading or misinterpreting spells I wanted to ask this right up front.

* SUMMONING spell text says that it only effects [Creatures].
* Table on p115 lists SUMMONING [Creature]
* Table on p125 lists SUMMONING [Creature]

Was this limitation changed form a prior version? Why I ask is there is the following reference under Diabolist... SUMMON EVIL spell list. Or is the Diabolist' Summon Evil a Rules Exception spell list?

Summon Creature questions:
* Summon Person - How does this work if you can't summon a named individual? "I cast summon random Dwarf_01"? Or is this only useful for cross-planar summoning?
* How do you Summon Elementals? What category do you place them in - Fey?
* Where would something like an Angel or Archon fall?
* Can you limit a Summoning Spell list, such as SUMMON ABOMINATION (Demons) or SUMMON FEY (Fire Elemental) or SUMMON BEAST (Birds)?

Sniperfox47

First Post
* Summon Person - How does this work if you can't summon a named individual? "I cast summon random Dwarf_01"? Or is this only useful for cross-planar summoning?
Its useful in crossplanar travel (either you or the target), or if you want to create a dwarf with magic. Remember, summoned creatures don't have to be a summoned creature from somewhere else, you can also use them to animate bones or create creatures from thin air. A summon spell "Create Dwarf" that creates a temporary dwarven ally would be perfectly viable.

* Where would something like an Angel or Archon fall?
Judging by where demons fall I'd guess abomination as well. But fey is also a possibility.

* Can you limit a Summoning Spell list, such as SUMMON ABOMINATION (Demons) or SUMMON FEY (Fire Elemental) or SUMMON BEAST (Birds)?

If that's what you DM chooses to do he has that right as a DM. That being said, its not really necessary. Your signature spells already have to have all options chosen so you can have a signature spell to summon a dwarf, but not one to summon any person. In order to summon any person you'd have to cast it as a non-signiture spell with a full minute.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Judging by where demons fall I'd guess abomination as well. But fey is also a possibility.
How much do you think it would break to add a few more categories. As it is for my homebrew I'd probably be switching types around a bit anyway.

In order to summon any person you'd have to cast it as a non-signiture spell with a full minute.
Which to me really isn't a huge restriction unless you're tying to sling it in combat. However, if you are prepping Before combat... or for some other purpose like summoning a demon to get answers to questions, etc.... really not a hinderance

Sniperfox47

First Post
How much do you think it would break to add a few more categories. As it is for my homebrew I'd probably be switching types around a bit anyway.

Wouldn't break anything mechanically. If you really wanted you could split fey into fey, magical beasts, and dragons, split abominations into abominations and outsiders, and split undead into undead and undying.

Just keep in mind, adding new types would give a disadvantage to spellcasters reliant on creature type (those who use heal/summon/compel/charm/ect.), while reducing the number would give them an advantage.

Which to me really isn't a huge restriction unless you're tying to sling it in combat. However, if you are prepping Before combat... or for some other purpose like summoning a demon to get answers to questions, etc.... really not a hinderance

No its not when its outside of combat, but that's part of why summon has such a ridiculously high mp cost.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. For campaign specifics, different creature categories might work better. Also for specific themed traditions like for instance an Infernal Pact Warlock vs. Star Pact Warlock. Makes more sense for the Infernal to summon Devils and the Star to summon "abominations" in the more Cthulu style (or D&D Aberration style like aboleths, etc.).

Remove ads