super basic shield question

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
orc swings axe at wizard, wizard cast shield, then shield may block that axe? Right? This is how Immediate Interrupts work?

Does the wizard know what defense the orc would hit? I.e. if the shield would actually block the attack?

Thanks!

Oompa

First Post
Orc swings and throws a 14, wizard has a AC of 15 and decides to use his shield spell..

You get to chose the power after the attack hits..

The only thing is you need to ask a dm how close the roll is to your ac..

Yeah it is a DM/player thing. In my game we have everyone's defences up on a white board so the Wiz can see if it is worth using shield 'cos I am up front with the numbers. However you could say 'the orc just hits you' as a big hint if you prefer not to use numbers at the game table.

If you are a nasty DM you won't say a thing and the player won't see the roll, so he has to just guess to see if shield will work. In which case expect him to choose a different utility spell!

hvg3akaek

First Post
If you are a nasty DM you won't say a thing and the player won't see the roll, so he has to just guess to see if shield will work. In which case expect him to choose a different utility spell!
I don't think it's nasty, the power till gives him +4 defence for a turn, and a chance at blocking the attack.

Compare it to the halfling's second chance, which only provides a chance at dodging the blow, if the wizard knew what the attack was, it would mean the power (a level 2 utility, right?) was far superior to the halfling's natural power.

Majushi

First Post
Are you saying that a lvl 2 wizard shouldn't be more powerful than a halfling with no class?

In my opinion, the rules do not state that the DM has to tell the Wizard what the hit came to.

But, on the other hand, I think that a fair DM should...

For the record. I play a halfling rogue in my local game, and there is a human wizard in the party with shield.

I have no issue with him being able to negate one attack an encounter, and more often than not he is either hit by a fair amount (more than 4) or missed entirely.

So alot of the time the power doesn't even come into play.

At our table, DM rolls the d20, then asks "what's your AC?" (or if he has a pretty good idea, e.g., he just asked you three seconds ago when the orc's buddies hit you, he'll just tell you "that hits"). If you see a very high number on that d20 you may want to reconsider shield. :)

Anthraxus

Explorer
I've been in 8-10 combats since I got the Shield spell, using it *with* knowing the attack roll and still haven't used it. I guess someday it'll be useful. :yawn:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Thanks for the replies.

So, if I have this right, he knowns he is hit without sheild, can try to use sheild to block, but nothing obliges the DM to say what AC he hit, and if sheild will work.

A grey area. I like the hinting idea.

But how does it compare to the other lvl 2 utilities? The wizard has made great use of expeditious retreat, but that is a daily, as is feather fall. The other PHB utility is jump. Would always knowing if sheild would work make it the must have utility?

hvg3akaek

First Post
Are you saying that a lvl 2 wizard shouldn't be more powerful than a halfling with no class?
no. that was not what I said. But a level 2 wizard utility power shouldn't overshadow a racial power of a level 1 or level 30 halfling.

But how does it compare to the other lvl 2 utilities? The wizard has made great use of expeditious retreat, but that is a daily, as is feather fall. The other PHB utility is jump. Would always knowing if sheild would work make it the must have utility?
Indeed it would :) If it was for just the one attack, Majushi might have an argument, but the +4 bonus lasts a round. That is pretty significant indeed, and is still a good choice for a power.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Would always knowing if sheild would work make it the must have utility?
There are two people in this thread with direct experience saying no, it's not. In fact, one of them hasn't used it yet in 8-10 tries! I think knowing the roll is fine. I especially don't like the idea of "gambling" on an unknown roll, which makes it only fun on a successful guess. Think of Anthraxus, if he had to guess. On combat 11, he guesses wrong. That would suck so bad I would take mach1.9pants up on the offer of a different spell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases