Super-Size Me!

rockyroad71

First Post
Hello All! Alright, so I've been searching around, but I have not found any type of consistent ruling on this. I am planning on playing either a Dragonborn or a Human crusader for my next campaign. I think it would be really fun to make my character large for the role playing aspect (a guy who never really fit in anywhere (for the pun of it...), and who has just joined a traveling gang of thieves. My question is, can I accomplish this without taking level adjustments? If so, how, and how would that effect my modifiers? I have seen multiple things that go between a lot of modifier adjustment to no adjustment, along with other things. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

About the only way I know of to get proper large size full time without LA or racial HD is through making an Enlarge Person spell permanent on you. If you do that you're going to be at risk for getting it Dispelled, so it's not really worth it.

The only LA 0 races/creatures I know of that are large are the anthro baleen whale and the anthro huge viper, which are found in Savage Species. Both of them have 3 racial HD though, but monstrous humanoid is a pretty good type to be.

An LA +1 race is the half-ogre also from Savage Species, but it got "updated" to LA +2 in Races of Destiny.

The anthro races and the half-ogres are the only races I know of that are normally large with only one of LA or racial HD. Sources for me include http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.0 and http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=342.0, which are both pretty comprehensive.

There are some races with Powerful Build which allows the character to function as if it was large for several things, but the creature is still actually medium and just really big for a medium creature. The three races with PB are: Goliath from Races of Stone, half-giant from Expanded Psionics Handbook, and Eneko from Secrets of Sarlona. The most "human" of those is the half-giant.

The feat Dandu linked kinda functions like Powerful Build in some aspects and would be the easiest thing to rework fluff-wise as your character just being abnormally big.

For me, as a DM, just make your PC large. However you don't get reach, which is the real bonus of being large.

So:

Double its height and multiplying its weight by 8 (up to I guess, you don't need to be that big!)
+2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1) EDIT: Maybe not this.
-1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size.
Space of 10 feet
Bigger weapons but much more expensive, magic weapons and armour that fit will be a rarity
Hide -4
Carrying capacity x2

I would let you run with that, along with all the problems of being that being Large will give you. Not fitting in many places, no mounts until you can find something bigger than you, falling through rickety bridges etc.

So yeah, without the extra reach sounds like a fun PC that will give all sorts of RP opportunities and fun that the DM can inflict on you.

Savage species is a strange strange book, if your DM let's things in that book fly check out page 120. There is a template called incarnate construct. It has -2(minimum 0) level adjustment, this is because it removes all special qualities and special attacks leaving you with your fairly standard large creture. Pick a large creature you like the look of and apply this template.

Remove ads