D&D 3E/3.5 Supernatural effects can't be dispelled in 3.5?

kreynolds

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
In any event, how long could you have dispelled it's DR for, if it were legal?

I've gotten two different answers on this, from CS and the Sage...1 round (comes back automatically) and 1d4 rounds. Can't remember who said what though, but if I remember correctly, constantly active supernatural abilities can be reactivated as a free action by the creature on the following round (this was the response I got for dispelling a 3.0 nightwalkers chill aura, from the Sage, I believe).

dravot

First Post
kreynolds said:
I've gotten two different answers on this, from CS and the Sage...1 round (comes back automatically) and 1d4 rounds. Can't remember who said what though, but if I remember correctly, constantly active supernatural abilities can be reactivated as a free action by the creature on the following round (this was the response I got for dispelling a 3.0 nightwalkers chill aura, from the Sage, I believe).

I've seen the 1d4 rounds pretty consistently, and that's what I'd go with. You're right about reactivating constant abilities as a free action. It's usually mentioned in the writeup of the MM, just to be sure.

Iku Rex

Explorer
pvandyck said:
Notice the missing bit about dispelling supernatural effects?? They kept very similar wording, so I think they deliberately took it out for 3.5
I think so too. They didn't do a very good job of it though.

Code:
Table: Special Ability Types
			Extraordinary	Spell-Like	Supernatural
Dispel			No		Yes		Yes
Spell resistance	No		Yes		No
Antimagic field		No		Yes		Yes
Attack of opportunity	No		Yes		No

Dispel: Can dispel magic and similar spells dispel the effects of abilities of that type?
Spell Resistance: Does spell resistance protect a creature from these abilities?
Antimagic Field: Does an antimagic field or similar magic suppress the ability?
Attack of Opportunity: Does using the ability provoke attacks of opportunity the way that 
casting a spell does?
http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/AbilitiesandConditions.rtf

Last edited:

Hygric

First Post
And from the paragraph straight above that table:

"A supernatural ability’s effect cannot be dispelled and is not subject to counterspells."

The table is in error I guess.

Remove ads