Survivor Appendix N Authors- LEIBER WINS!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Bellairs, John 1
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 16
Carter, Lin 14
de Camp & Pratt 7
Dunsany, Lord 17
Leiber, Fritz 15
Merritt, A. 16
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 12
St. Clair, Margaret 11
Tolkien, J.R.R. 11
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 16
Zelazny, Roger 16

Rydac

Explorer
Bellairs, John 1
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 16
Carter, Lin 14
de Camp & Pratt 7
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 16
Merritt, A. 16
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 12
St. Clair, Margaret 11
Tolkien, J.R.R. 11
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 16
Zelazny, Roger 16

werecorpse

Adventurer
Bellairs, John 1-2=-1
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 16
Carter, Lin 14
de Camp & Pratt 7
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 16
Merritt, A. 16
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 12
St. Clair, Margaret 11
Tolkien, J.R.R. 11+1=12
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 16
Zelazny, Roger 16

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, we had this debate before, and it was pretty heated. Here, have a look-

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...amp-D-is-not-(just)-Tolkien&highlight=Tolkien

To recap some of the main points-

1. Tolkien maximalists find that everything in D&D is from Tolkien; they are wrong. They end up making absurd arguments about clerics, or Paladins, or magic swords, or trolls, or all sorts of other things that have nothing to do with Tolkien (or we have good history and sourcing on).

2. Tolkien minimalist deny everything; they are wrong. They end up making absurd arguments about Rangers (for example) which are clearly from Tolkien (or we have good history on).

I guess that makes me a Tolkien realist. I don't maximize or minimize.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You clearly didn't even read what I wrote. Again, Gary making a reference directly to Tolkien in no way, shape, or form means that Tolkien was the foundational influence to D&D. Which is what you claimed. It only means he was an influence. And we know how much, because Gary addressed this many times. He's outright said he wasn't the biggest influence, but included him and some of his creations because that's what people were most familiar with, and of course he wanted to sell as many brown boxes as possible.

The only response to this is to call Gary a liar. Which is awfully convenient now that he's dead and can't defend himself any longer.

LOL No. No the only response isn't to call Gary a liar. Hell, I haven't even gotten to the point where I know he even said those things. I provided a solid argument. Chainmail is the foundation for D&D and Tolkien influenced that foundation quite a bit. That equates to Tolkien influencing the foundation of D&D. You've done nothing but make an unsubstantiated claim about what Gygax said. Right at this point in the conversation it has about as much weight as if I said that Gygax once said he loved riding mules through Moscow. Since you claim that Gygax said multiple times that Tolkien didn't influence the game's foundation, it should be memorialized somewhere for you to link for me. Once you do that, we can move past this point. Right now you haven't even countered my argument yet.

Remove ads