Survivor Appendix N Authors- LEIBER WINS!

Harzel

Adventurer
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 13
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 10
Merritt, A. 10
Offutt, Andrew J. 8
Tolkien, J.R.R. 10
Wellman, Manley Wade 10
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 15

OMG! Someone who upvoted Lieber and didn't downvote Tolkien! Have some xp.

Harzel

Adventurer
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 15
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 12
Merritt, A. 10
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Tolkien, J.R.R. 12
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 12

So familiar ...

57d315851bb45.image.png

Uh huh. And do you remember the point?
You keep reliving it until you get it right!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 13
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 10
Merritt, A. 8
Offutt, Andrew J. 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 10
Wellman, Manley Wade 10
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 15
[MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] - may I propose that the next one of these vote-downs be much the same as this one except using more recent fantasy authors, with Tolkein included as a comparison point. List might start with something like (and I'll miss some, for sure):

Bradley, Eddings, Jordan, Martin, Salvatore, Hickman-Weis, Brooks, Gaiman, Tolkein, Goodkind, Lackey, etc. (this dead brain can't think of many right now)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Bradley, Eddings, Jordan, Martin, Salvatore, Hickman-Weis, Brooks, Gaiman, Tolkein, Goodkind, Lackey, etc. (this dead brain can't think of many right now)

Oh Gosh. If we thought people were unreasonably passionate about Planescape and Tolkien, just wait until people get to vote on Gaiman... ;)

You should also include Rothfuss, so people can vote him down for not finishing his series ;)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's a great idea- I try to have the starting list be something "objective," or, at least, someone else's list (like this was). That way, people aren't caught up in a dispute as to what should, and shouldn't, be on the list.

If y'all want to brainstorm some way to:

a. Have a list of more recent authors (no repeats); and
b. Have it be something that won't be argued over (the list is the list); then

I'm always game!
On further review I think it might have to be two lists (i.e. two different votedowns) - one for authors mostly active (or who did their best or best-known works) in the late 70s-80s-90s and another for authors mostly active in years starting with a 2 - simply because there's so bloody many that are probably worth including.

Then a fourth votedown could take the top three from each and put 'em into a winner-take-all finals! :)

Some more inclusions:

70s-90s - K Kurtz, A McCaffrey, E Moon, G G Kay, H Turtledove, J Whyte
2000s - S Lynch, K Miller

And we could argue all day about J K Rowling... :)

We could always take the 5e Appendix N and go with that (removing the crossover with the original, to avoid re-litigating the same authors).

@lowkey13 - may I propose that the next one of these vote-downs be much the same as this one except using more recent fantasy authors, with Tolkein included as a comparison point. List might start with something like (and I'll miss some, for sure):

Remove ads