Survivor Appendix N Authors- LEIBER WINS!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 13
Leiber, Fritz 11
Merritt, A. 4
Tolkien, J.R.R. 10
Wellman, Manley Wade 8
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 14

OB1

Jedi Master
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 13
Leiber, Fritz 11
Merritt, A. 4
Tolkien, J.R.R. 8
Wellman, Manley Wade 8
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 15

Grognerd

Explorer
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 13
Leiber, Fritz 11
Merritt, A. 4
Tolkien, J.R.R. 9
Wellman, Manley Wade 8
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 13

More of the same.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 13
Leiber, Fritz 11
Merritt, A. 2
Tolkien, J.R.R. 10
Wellman, Manley Wade 8
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 13

Sacrosanct

Legend
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 13
Leiber, Fritz 12
Merritt, A. 2
Tolkien, J.R.R. 8
Wellman, Manley Wade 8
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 13

Sacrosanct

Legend
First, I missed the second link in that post of yours. Sue me. I only saw the one and I wasn't going to slog through a thread for you. Second, I just went back and looked at the second link and it shows nothing like what you are claiming here. There were two quotes from Gygax, neither of which say that Tolkien wasn't a foundational influence.

The first quote just says that there are other authors he considered as well, which we all know from the list we are voting on. the second quote says that the heroes were kinda boring, but other than the ranger class lifted almost directly from Aragorn, I'm not saying that the heroes are the part of the foundation he took from Tolkien. Then the author of that article goes on to say that Gygax would often tell us which parts of Tolkien he took and which he didn't.

Your link doesn't prove your claim, and your continued "common knowledge" statement is nothing more than an Appeal to Popularity. Lots of things that are "common knowledge" are incorrect. Feel free to leave the conversation or stay, but do you really want to leave the discussion on a fallacy?

One of the biggest arguments being presented here was "Dude, Tolkien was the biggest influence because Gary mentioned him by name in OD&D." And that link I presented has Gary, way back in 1974 even, saying why he included Tolkien by name, and that he also included others by name, and forgot to include even others by name as a matter of oversite. That directly counters what one of the main arguments were in this thread about Tolkien was the biggest influence because Gary literally explained how Tolkien was just another name on the list of ones he gave--no more or no less impactful. And that's not even considering all the other number of times he addressed this topic since 1974.

Well, at least now I know you're being deliberately disingenuous now.

Last edited:

rczarnec

Explorer
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 13
Leiber, Fritz 12
Merritt, A. 2
Tolkien, J.R.R. 9
Wellman, Manley Wade 8
Williamson, Jack 12
Zelazny, Roger 13

Burroughs, Edgar Rice 14
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 13
Leiber, Fritz 12 + 1 = 13
Merritt, A. 2
Tolkien, J.R.R. 9 - 2 = 7
Wellman, Manley Wade 8
Williamson, Jack 12
Zelazny, Roger 13

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
One of the biggest arguments being presented here was "Dude, Tolkien was the biggest influence because Gary mentioned him by name in OD&D." And that link I presented has Gary, way back in 1974 even, saying why he included Tolkien by name, and that he also included others by name, and forgot to include even others by name as a matter of oversite. That directly counters what one of the main arguments were in this thread about Tolkien was the biggest influence because Gary literally explained how Tolkien was just another name on the list of ones he gave--no more or no less impactful. And that's not even considering all the other number of times he addressed this topic since 1974.

Being one among many does not making him equal or smaller. It just means that there were a lot of influences. You among others have been claiming that he is not a foundational influence. He is and those quotes you provided prove it. Hell, the ranger class alone proves it. Classes are one of the most foundational parts of the game.

Well, at least now I know you're being deliberately disingenuous now.

Pot meet kettle. Look in a mirror. <insert other sayings that mean the same thing>

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 15
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 13
Leiber, Fritz 13
Merritt, A. 2
Tolkien, J.R.R. 5
Wellman, Manley Wade 8
Williamson, Jack 12
Zelazny, Roger 13

Remove ads