• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swapping class abilities?

Pazu

First Post
Hi all--

In order to fit a particular NPC concept, I'm contemplating a core Rogue variant that gives up the sneak attack ability in exchange for the bardic knowledge ability and having all Knowledge skills as class skills.

Does this seem like a fair trade? Is it overpowered? Underpowered? Suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,
--Pazu

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
How about considering what it would like in reverse?

A Bard that gave up all his bardic magic, his perform abilities and good will save in order to gain uncanny dodge, evasion and more skill points.

Basically I don't think the combination you propose would cause any balance problems to the game at all. You are giving up combat power to get someone who is more sage-like.

It seems completely within the spirit of the guidelines given in the PHB and DMG to me.

Cheers

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
1) You might want to consider just using the "expert" NPC class with the appropriate skill mix. Unless, of course, you really want/need the other rogue abilities (like the Evasion tree, and the rogue special abilities at 10th+).
2)Another option is to just view this as a non-spellcasting bard.

The proposed trade seems like it might be a little underpowered, especially in a combat-oriented game, but it's not by much.

Pazu

First Post
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!

Modifying the bard class might be a better way to go, after all--maybe a variant that gives up all spellcasting in exchange for 6 skill points per level (while retaining bardic music and knowledge). Again, I don't know if this would be underpowered, overpowered, or okay. It seems that with the loss of spells, some extra defensive capabilities might be needed.

Just thinking aloud... :)

-- Pazu

Reln

First Post
Just wanted to through this out there to see if it will fit what you are looking for. athas.org has a non spell casting Bard class. I haven't checked it out yet but it might work for you.

Last edited:

Remove ads