• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SWd20] New GM house rule critique

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
Rhun said:
You could make that argument that re-assigning the bonus from round to round reflects shifts in combat tactics by the Jedi, though. For example, the first few rounds he may apply it all defensively as he gets a feel for his opponent, and then switch the bonus to attack when he decides to go on the offensive.

I can see this arguement. Of course it is your game so go with what you think is right.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
That works, too, Rhun. I like that.

How about this ... if you want to re-assign your bonuses, you declare it at the end of your turn. The changes don't take effect until your turn on the following round.

Only problem I can see is extra book-keeping and planning that a player would need to do with the Battlemind. This could be less of a problem from group to group, but its really easier to just have it do what it does. And trust me, its already extremely useful as is.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
It's useful. It's TOO useful, personally. Battlemind as-is.

At the begining of every combat the Guardians do their "Jedi don't attack first" Jedi Buff Round and Enhance Ability/Battlemind. Its a no-brainer.

--fje

Also, one other thing I thought would be worth mention.

I really, really suggest you don't apply any house rules like this until you've played the game as is. You can ask us all you want and we'll give you a bunch of different opinions, but the best test is to first play the game by the book THEN see how things might need to be changed for your game. There is definitely a lot that can change between looking at something on paper and seeing things actually in play.

Bagpuss

Legend
The only issue I'ld have with Battlemind adding directly to Defense is Jedi with there Lightsabre Defense feats, and class abilities already have access to a lot of defense stuff, to stack this as well could be a little much. As it is they can use Battlemind to offset the penalty from Fighting Defensively if they want another defense bonus.

But really I don't see a problem with it, as long as your Jedi Character doesn't min-max his defense abilities so the game gets really slow with him just standing there on Total Defense while the bad guys keep trying to roll natural 20's to hit him.

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
I thought about using both house rules in my game as well, but decided that the existence of the Combat Expertise feat was sufficient to not bother using the houserules. I keep fighting defensively as a full-round action, and leave Battlemind as is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads