D&D 5E Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Neverwinter description mostly useless

Savevsdeath

First Post
I have a very long standing theory that most "player oriented" books are actually sold to DMs or potential/sometime DMs.

It can be rationalized by "maybe my players would use it" but its the DMs that tend to be most interested in various tweeks and turns of characters, rules, new spells and equipment, and so forth.

I have not found this to be at all true, and this is as a near lifelong player and DM, currently running an absolutely massive game with 50 some-odd players and about 5 DM's. Players get excited when they see new crunch options, even if they never plan to use them. At least, mine do. And my personal experience on the player side is that new options = new character concepts I can play.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have not found this to be at all true, and this is as a near lifelong player and DM, currently running an absolutely massive game with 50 some-odd players and about 5 DM's. Players get excited when they see new crunch options, even if they never plan to use them. At least, mine do. And my personal experience on the player side is that new options = new character concepts I can play.

Sure, they may get excited. They are the ones who will use it.

I am talking about who actually buys these books.

If you own a lot of "player" books, you have, are or are very likely soon to GM.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I want new takes on places that either had no write up in the past or just a brief mention. There are new authors out there whom have great ideas they could add to the Realms. Instead we get told to just use the old stuff.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
We just got another full traipse around the Sword Coast and the North in Storm King's Thunder, talking about where most of the major locations and towns currently stand. This coming after the SCAG a year earlier. If you think they're now going to release a *third* guide on top of both of these, you're praying to an absent god.

jasper

Rotten DM
I rather have just a bare bones description of some places like Neverwinter. So in Merric's world the ruler is the love child of Batman and Catwoman. In Defcon1's world, it nuclear type waste land city ran by Pun Pun and his merry Goblin Gondola gang. Etc
Than Corpsetaker " Darn it Jasper. Every knows Jasper the Army cook fighter lives on 1313 Goblin Ave and his Evil Commie Mother in Law lives at 666 Amosdues Lane. Keep the lore and campaign straight. I have the campaign on my laptop if you want to do it right!".

Remove ads