Sword & Shield Fighter build

nittanytbone

First Post
Settembrini said:
So would a non TWF shielded Fighter be very ineffective?
Is there any way to have an effective fighter who fights with a one handed weapon? I´m really sick of the Power Attack Game.

High damage output surely is needed, as we will play STAP.

TWF is only efficient if you have bonus damage on each hand.

A prime example is a rogue's sneak attack. There are several other sources; in core, I can think of Ranger Favored Enemy, Bard Inspire Courage, Fighter Weap. Spec. (feats), Cleric Divine Favor (spell), and elemental damage weapons (flaming, shocking, etc.). Add completes and you get the Swashbuckler's Insightful Strike and others.

The problem for you is that fighter's weapon spec. (A) sucks and (B) is feat intensive, especially if you have to take two trees (one for your heavy shield, one for your short sword). Also, as you noted, the TWF chain is very dex intensive, which means you now need good dexterity (for TWF), good strength (to hit), good con (to not die), and good wisdom (so you don't fail will saves).

To build a TWF shield-basher, I'd design it like any TWF character. Probably start with a Rogue 1/Ranger 2 base then add more levels of each (Ranger 6 = ITWF, Rogue 3 = 2d6 SA + evasion) until I hit the PrC of your choice.

The problem with building a straight "sword and boarder" (without TWF or PHBII feats or anything) and really focusing on defense (example, a dwarf with a waraxe and a tower shield and full plate) is that you'll be a tough nut to crack, but your damage output will be relatively low and it'll be tough to force enemies to pay attention to you.

Settembrini

First Post
How about a "Sword&Board" PHBII special attacker? One who also gets himself sunder, trip, bull rush etc. stuff?
Along with the Shield Ward, that might be workable?

A bit like Captain America?

satori01

First Post
Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, (and the greater versions of those), Weapon Mastery (PHB II), Weapon Supremacy (PHB II), Improved Critical or Keen Weapon.

You are not going to do the huge flurries of damage, but you want to stack as many miscellaneous bonuses as you can, so over the long haul, you will be pumping out damage. I would also recommend a x3 crit weapon, to make criticals devastating.

I think the key to Sword and Board is being versatile, you want to be able to confound the enemy in a lot of different ways, while still able to survive. Combat Expertise, Mobility, Spring Attack and Bounding Assualt (PHB II), Short Haft (PHBII) and a reach weapon, maybe some of the Tactical Feats.

satori01

First Post
Settembrini said:
Knight is not an option, as I´m aiming for a run down mercenary type. Same for Duskblade. Thanks for the pointers, though.

Knight could work thematically for that, alignment requirement is Lawful only. The Rock in the movie , Rundown, was definitely, lawful.
A sword and board Knight/Dwarven Defender could be interesting.

Magesmiley

Explorer
One of the biggest advantages you gain over a two-weapon fighter is the added AC gained by the shield. Build that edge up into a massive advantage by concentrating on upping your AC. There's a curve that you want to stay ahead of - ideally, your opponent should always need a 20 to hit you. If you can manage this, you'll be able to take hits constantly and keep the enemies at bay while your allies blast them to smithereens. I've been watching this style in the campaign I'm currently DMing for and, if played properly, it can be very very effective.

To that end, I suggest for feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Combat Expertise, Improved Toughness, Dodge, Heavy Armor Optimization (RoS), Improved Heavy Armor Optimization (RoS), and there's a feat in PHB2 which improves the shield bonus that's escaping me right now. You'll probably still want Power Attack at some point too. If you can get up to a 20 Con, Roll with It (Savage Species) is another great feat too.

Pump that AC mercilessly by any means you can. Get magical bonuses to AC that stack well together. Ask your friends for AC enhancing spells. Also remember that you can enhance both the shield and armor bonuses. A single +3 bonus costs 9000 gp. Two +2 bonuses costs only 8000 gp.

The dwarf is really better at this style of fighting than humans (due to the extra Con, the dodge bonus vs giants, and the dwarven defender PrC).

nittanytbone

First Post
One other suggestion -- paladins, naturally, make pretty good sword & boarders due to Smite Evil. The smite damage just adds onto one strike (not two, with TWF), and its not multiplied by 1.5 for the two-handers, so a longsword wielding paladin gets similar benefit out of his smite compared to a greatsword wielder (of course, the bonus to hit slightly benefits the greatsworder...).

There might be other abilities out there similar to this (clerics of destruction have a Smite, I know), and that combined with Extra Smiting from the complete warrior could boost your damage output significantly.

Legildur

First Post
nittanytbone said:
The problem with building a straight "sword and boarder" (without TWF or PHBII feats or anything) and really focusing on defense (example, a dwarf with a waraxe and a tower shield and full plate) is that you'll be a tough nut to crack, but your damage output will be relatively low and it'll be tough to force enemies to pay attention to you.
Agreed. You really need a strong archer or sorceror to pound on the opponent while you hold them back.

There are a couple of ways 'to force enemies to pay attention to you'.

1. Fight in a corridor (or channel the enemy in some other way);
2. Use the Knight's Challenge? ability for the Knight base class in PHBII;
3. Take the Goad feat (Comp Adventurer and ???).

The latter works on intelligent (Int 3+) enemies if they fail the Will based saving throw.

I played a gnome Ftr1/Pal3 in a one shot last Friday and had an AC of 29 against medium-sized or larger creatures: 10 base + 9 (+1 full plate) +4 (tower shield) +1 (Dex) +1 (Dodge) +3 (Titan Fighting, RoS) +1 (size). Next steps are to get Combat Expertise and Divine Shield which could punch it through to high 30s by level 6! Mind you, theory broke down in practise with the Winter Wolves cone of cold.....

Dross

Explorer
Another thing to think about is tripping, it limits the opponents ability to attack you by making him stand up (giving an AoO) or a -4 to attack from being prone. Flails etc allow tripping without the use of the feat (which requires INT13 & Combat Reflexes).

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
TheGogmagog said:
In PHII also consider the classes. Knight For defense, Duskblade for damage. Both make good sword and board builds.

The shild spec and shield ward feats are exceptional as is, and even better for the knight who gets bonuses applied to the shield anyway.

Outside duskblade, I haven't seen much damage output unless you go with two handed weapons and power attack.

There are other damage output options.

Fighter/Cleric/Pious Templar or Fighter/Paladin/Pious Templar with Divine Might and Extra Smitings will end up with a pretty good damage output. You'll notice the build has Power Attack (since it's the prereq for Divine Might), so pick up some Armbands of Might (Complete Adventurer) and get in on the Power Attack game yourself (Power Attack for 2 with Armbands of might nets +4 damage and is often a good deal; Power Attack can be a good deal anyway as it can be used to punish low AC foes when you have a good attack bonus).

Settembrini

First Post
Thanks again for the pointers. Right now I´m thinking that the most attractive thing could be an UA Variant: exchange bonus feats for sneak attack damage. Along with two flaws to buy the PHBII shield feats, I could be a nasty "Sword&Boarder". With the regular feats I´d be aiming for the spring attack and blitz tree.

Remove ads