D&D 3E/3.5 Sword stats

Mongoose Publishing, Ultimate Equipment Guide, pg139.

Basically greatsword, but exotic weapon, critical threat range increased to 18-20 and costs 150gp.

Following the same logic, you could do the same with any sword by increasing the threat range by 1, extra 100gp cost, and make it exotic
I just saw your response. Awesome. Thanks.
Should be a good foundation to work off of. Using that price im going to extrapolate to a shortsword version.
Then add a bleed effect for a bit more gold.
Then widen the crit range to 17-20 also for a bit more gold.
Then i should have what i need.
Increased crit range made sense but i think it should have twice as wide a crit range as opposed to a 50% increase crit range.
Also gonna specify that alchemical metal enhancements if applied require 150% the normal price hike due to increased surface area.

Reynard

Legend
I just saw your response. Awesome. Thanks.
Should be a good foundation to work off of. Using that price im going to extrapolate to a shortsword version.
Then add a bleed effect for a bit more gold.
Then widen the crit range to 17-20 also for a bit more gold.
Then i should have what i need.
Increased crit range made sense but i think it should have twice as wide a crit range as opposed to a 50% increase crit range.
Also gonna specify that alchemical metal enhancements if applied require 150% the normal price hike due to increased surface area.
A 4 point crit range is HUGE, especially for a mundane weapon. Get that in the hands of a crit spec'd fighter and it's game breaking.

What's your goal?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Yeah, with all that you are creating a really strong weapon compared to other base weapons. Even exotics. Now, if game balance is a non-issue for you, I say go for it, but I’d atleast make the price close to actual magic weapons with all those qualities.

A 4 point crit range is HUGE, especially for a mundane weapon. Get that in the hands of a crit spec'd fighter and it's game breaking.

What's your goal?
I agree. The normal range for a weapon of its type is 2. BUT the type of blade is historically one of the most effective types developed for sword combat during the entire period of history in which swords were in frequent use. And i like realism. Im making it pretty difficult to get not to mention expensive on top of that. Im also making repairs require a signifficantly better than average smith. Because its clearly a specialty blade. And im requiring both martial and exotic weapon proficiency.

But even with the draw backs im giving it, provided the player ponies up a lot of cash, yes, it will be worth it.

Im not going to make it stand out or indicate it though. Its in the game to be a pricey but worth it option is the character and the player realizes it is.

But the most likely scenario ill drop it into is a noblemans house or other difficult place to acquire it from that doesbt involve purchase. Somewhere dangerous.

Theyll also be available for purchase. But only near an elite smith.

Not the only custom crafted item ive made available. I assume it would be acquired at higher levels too anyway. In a location where a master smith is actually believably at. Not just gonna have it at some trivial location.

Last edited:

Yeah, with all that you are creating a really strong weapon compared to other base weapons. Even exotics. Now, if game balance is a non-issue for you, I say go for it, but I’d atleast make the price close to actual magic weapons with all those qualities.
i dont consider the flambard and variations on it base models.

Also yes. I may have been unclear. I was going to make it cost quite a pretty penny.

Shields are the most import weapon of the pre-modern world and D&D has never done them justice.
Eh...i think spears hold the title of most important close range weapon in the ancient world. Sheild and plate armor are a lot closer than sword though. Everyone always thinks its swords that were the all star and i just dont know why this delusion persists.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases