• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR Swords & Wizardry (or other OSR variant)

Which version? There is a white box version and a S&W complete version. It depends on your preferences. Basic Fantasy is also an option, and its also free. The particular version/flavor depends on how simple and abstract you want to keep the rules. Labyrinth Lord is very basic but there is a companion with expanded class options too.

My OSR preferences tend to Labyrinth Lord and Lamentations of the Flame Princess. But Swords & Wizardry would work fine for Rappan Athuk, I’d think. The toughest part might be getting coverage on the monsters, but if you have all the 1e sources, you probably could just use those easily enough. Either that or hand-convert them.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
There is a published version for S&W which is why I was considering it, though I never played OD&D. AD&D is an option but was thinking maybe some OD&D based goodness would be in order. I'll check into LL but I don't really need an AD&D clone.

Edit: Oh that is a B/E clone. Interesting.

SPECTRE666

Adventurer
Rappan Athuk is set up to use Swords and Wizardry out the gate. No need to convert a thing. Frog God Games has a Free download of the rules.

Remove ads