• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SWSE: Starship Weapons = Heavy Weapons?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'm running a game in Star Wars Saga Edition. One of my players insists that starship weapons are heavy weapons and that PCs have to be trained in heavy weapons or take a -5 penalty when using starship weapons. I think he's confusing the shoulder-mounted blaster cannon (which is a heavy weapon) with starship-mounted blaster cannons. The starship weapon attack formula on p. 167 of the core rulebook doesn't say anything about a training bonus or penalty. Am I missing something, or am I right in saying starship gunners don't require special weapons training?

ccs

41st lv DM
I don't know (I just haven't played much SW), but it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that one would need (or at least benefit from) special/specific training to use a starship weapon.

On the other hand.... Luke does use the Falcons guns pretty easily as they escape the Death Star. and we know he's not a trained gunner. :)

That said I'm pretty certain the Heavy weapon designation doesn't include starship weapons.
But if I were in doubt & the rules didn't specify? Then I'd just make that a skill. And any NPC gunners would automatically have enough extra ranks or proficiency or whatever needed to do their basic job without penalty.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
IIRC, you need to be trained with either heavy weapons, starship weapons, or the piloting, to fire the weapons without penalty.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes they are heavy weapons. Doesn't apply if your the pilot or have the right talent like that scoundral one.

A dedicated heavy gunner is good on the ground and in space.

Zardnaar

Legend
Found it buried under "weapons training" (p. 89). Thanks for your help, everyone!

In one if the books you can put a power generator in your armor. Carry around a heavy repeater with the right feats...

Also most vehicle weapons have X2 damage. That talent that reduces DR also applies to ship weapons.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
In one if the books you can put a power generator in your armor. Carry around a heavy repeater with the right feats...

Also most vehicle weapons have X2 damage. That talent that reduces DR also applies to ship weapons.

You can do a lot with the right armour and feats in SWSE. Its pretty easy to turn a charcter in to a WH40K space marine dreadnought, without them being most dead to start.

Remove ads