Table rules to use in your game.

RSKennan

Explorer
Before I read the DMG I was thinking about using dice (d10s or even percentile dice) to represent a figure's elevation. I also thought that using an additional fudge die (a d6 marked with 2 +s, 2 blank sides, and 2 -s) to represent a positive or negative elevation at sea or in burrowing situations would help. I was glad to see most of this idea in the book.

Here's another idea: To indicate to the party healers who needs healing the most (and to the DM how a fight is going), use an index card, folded in the middle so that it stands up. On one side of the card stand, draw a big red drop. When you're bloodied, turn the card around so that the group can see it. Otherwise keep it facing you.

What other ideas do you guys have to enhance the game or make it run more smoothly? I'm not looking for house rules so much as table rules.

MrFood!

First Post
Cell phones on vibrate. No texting. No ipods or hand held gaming devices. Current rulebooks of the game you're playing only. If want read something else go to a different room.

Last edited:

Heselbine

Explorer
The D&D miniatures starter set contains markers with numbers in multiples of 5, used for hit points. I use them for elevation markers - perfect!

If there is more than one of a type of monster, I use a white d6 to show which it is. If the monster becomes bloodied I change it to a red d6. Obviously if there is more than six this breaks down slightly, but that's pretty rare - mostly if there's more than six they're minions, in which case there's no point tracking them individually.

My one fear about 4e was tracking marks and so on, but I just have a lot of different coloured stones and stuff that's hanging around in my miscellaneous stuff box and it's proved to be no problem whatsoever.

DonAdam

Explorer
Poker chips/glass beads have been mentioned in various contexts. One that I think will be helpful is immediate actions. Since you can only do one a round, and they're not on your turn, I just can't see myself keeping track of them. You hand one to someone at the beginning of their turn if they don't have one, and they hand it to you when they use an immediate action.

I also think a tri-fold name placard would be useful, especially for one-shots, and you could print the name in red for when the character is bloodied. Include defenses and passive checks as well. And use multicolored paper clips on the placard to indicate various ongoing effects.

Remove ads