• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tact-Tiles are back! Video Review

Ualaa

First Post
I backed the kickstarter for the recent re-release of the Tact Tiles.

I had not seen them on eBay in some time, despite setting up a watch list for them and checking weekly.
The one set that I had seen, ended up going for just over a grand.

I backed at $250(us) or so, and got two of the international sets.
They were amongst the first to ship out, as the company prioritized based on who spent the most for them.

Each set is/was 12 tiles.
So 24 tiles in all.

Using the recommended marker type (low odor), erasing is very easy within a few hours.
If you let them sit for most of a session (10 hours), there is a little bit more scrubbing effort to get the marker off, but it comes off entirely with no residue remaining.
Basically just clean the board periodically; don't leave it marked between sessions.

The tiles have a smaller groove (and jig-saw extension) on opposite sides (call them North/South) and a larger groove on the other two sides (call them West/East), so they essentially only interlock one way. But they're a good size across and easy to lock or shift.
You could mark up a map, by doing several tiles in advance... and because they only lock one way, it would be very easy to place the tiles as the PCs moved (and if necessary remove tiles from where they came from, to leave only say 3x3 (9 tiles) or whatever on the game surface at one time).

Very good product.

They're site is: www.voidstarstudios.com

captcorajus

Explorer
The best way I've found to keep them clean, and I've had the originals for 10 years now, and use them pretty much once a week, is with a dry 'magic sponge'. After a session, clean them in soapy water with dish washing liquid to get the marker grease residue off, and they will last a very long time.

Remove ads